Making a new bottom toolbar: Give me ideas!

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I’m busy creating a new layout for the bottom toolbar in the app that allows you to interact with each addiction tab. The idea is to make it easier to use by adding a label underneath each button to help new users get familiar with the app.

Still playing around a lot, but here’s what I currently have:

or maybe a transparent look:

5 Likes

Transparent look definitely :wink:

That’s a bit personal isn’t it :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

The labels are to help identify the functions of the buttons. I know it takes real estate when it’s expanded, but that’s why you can minimize it. So it will only take up space when you need it.

You can change the app’s theme in the preferences. There are about 15 color schemes to choose from.

2 Likes

It’s just an emulator :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I can’t change any in-depth forum functionality like that. Talking Sober runs on an open source forum platform.

Yeah, this. Windows Phone had some feature you could tap toolbars in some way I don’t remember to have the icon labels appear if you forgot what they were. That way you usually had the free real estate but could still remember. Of course making that feature discoverable is another issue…

Balancing those things, a compact icon-based toolbar paired with the popup version being bigger and labeled is an idea I really like! In that case, having the compact version the default is nice. The popup version then the same style as the smaller one is better for consistency, IMHO, even though I prefer the translucent aesthetic. (Or Maybe 25% transparent for both, just to ensure its always legible but still blends in?)

Size difference is a thing too. The popup version may be preferred by some who just have smaller devices and want a bigger target to tap.

I think this would be a bit complicated, sorry. Basically having two versions of the toolbar would annoy or confuse people. Having one, consistent look would simply things. It would also be annoying if you can’t get rid of the toolbar when you don’t plan on doing anything with it.

1 Like

So this is what I have right now:

Do you guys really prefer this over the current toolbar, though? Maybe I should just leave it as is and add an option to show small labels.

Oh, I meant sort of leveraging what you have now. But with the arrow shrinking/embiggening it instead of completely hiding it. (Just a thought, of course!)

Put a vote up for the members and see what they say in a couple of days