Making New Friends

Where do sober people go to make new friends? How do you take the initiative to try and meet and get with new people?

5 Likes

I’ll admit that it’s been a bit difficult making sober friends during quarantine. But here are a few suggestions:

1. see what programs your local library offers. Our library offers all sorts of classes and book clubs and crafting groups. You could pick something that sounds interesting and attend a class or group.

2. what activities do you enjoy? Looking online, you can often find a group in your town for running, hiking, biking, etc.

3. consider attending a recovery group (AA, recovery dharma, etc.). You will absolutely meet sober people there! Also, don’t worry if it takes visits to a few meetings to find one you really feel comfortable at. It can be worth it!

5 Likes

I’ve met some great friends at AA meetings. I didn’t speak at all when I first started going. I would just sit in the back and listen. As time went on, I got out of my comfort zone and started sharing. Then I started coming a little early and staying longer after the meeting to help clean up. That’s when I began interacting with others. After a year, I now I have lifelong friends all because of the program.

5 Likes

I meet a lot of people in church

2 Likes

Its been a challenging year for AA meetings because of COVID. I have made some amazing friendships at AA. You might find open social distance meetings where you live. Google it to know for sure.

I have also made some amazing friendships here.

AA is great! This place is here 24/7

2 Likes

Me too. Great humans at church. They are a whole different breed of human. Good humans!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::v::trophy:

1 Like

At the zoo.

I dont know if where your at offers in person meetings, but I met most of my people there.

Part of my story involved me moving to another state and when my significant other shut me out I didn’t have a choice. I had to start talking to people and networking at the new location it was hard but I made some great friends in the rooms

1 Like