Mandi's Recovery Journey Vibes

Day 1895.

Last night I had one of those dreaded relapse dreams. I very rarely get these. In my dream, I remember saying no, it was just a dream that I drank. But then I realized I was actually drunk and it wasn’t a dream. So weird, dreaming about dreaming about being drunk lol. But in my dream, I had actually drank. I was so bummed at the reality of having to reset and tell my sponsor. I decided to leave the party house I was at with several others at the same time and we all ended up in the ditch, crashing into each other, creating a huge mess but somehow carrying on for us all to get out of the ditch and drive. I remember while driving I was thinking I shouldn’t be driving but hyper focused on looking like I’ve got my shit together. It was a mess.

Then, I thought about this as I woke up today. I can absolutely see parallels to this dream in my own life, even in sobriety.

Sometimes I land in the ditch, which is an opportunity to stop before I decide to keep going on the wrong track. But instead, I sometimes want to ignore that and just keep going. Sometimes I also want to just look like I’ve got my shit totally together and I focus on that instead of being real with myself or anyone else. Sometimes the company I keep isn’t helpful to me, it can keep me in old unhealthy patterns too so I’ve had to do more releasing there the last few weeks also.

I met with my sponsor last night and I was honest about where I’m at and how I’m feeling. I wrote it all out before we met to get some clarity on this as my HP told me this was needed. It is always helping me to see what what I can not myself. We went over my emotions, why I am feeling them and that it’s ok to have those feelings come up and honor them. Gotta feel it to heal it and deal with it she says. I found I’ve been wanting to keep busy and sweep them under the rug, not even taking the time to acknowledge them to myself. She reminded me last night how important it was that I did that work to acknowledge this and to tell someone about it because these uncomfortable feelings are the things we used to drink to deal with. So, in looking at it like that, it’s no surprise I had that dream last night.

My higher power has asked me to make a bold move. And as this gets closer to actually being a reality, the more difficult feelings are arising. When the guidance came in, I thought it was strange but I trusted it. Now that the time has come to do the heavy lifting and really start moving in to this new space, I’ve got a lot of fears coming up within me. Holding those in and not getting them out in the open to process them will make me sick on all levels-mentally, spiritually and physically. I don’t want the life I used to have and even the life I have now I’m ready to trade in for a different version. But that’s pretty scary still with all the unknowns. And that’s ok. I’m still taking action. But I have to take the time to honor my emotions too and not just be all action orientated. Balance, honesty & authenticity is key.

This is what my recovery looks like today and I felt I needed to share this. In working my recovery, I get to see things from a different point of view than I used to have. I’m grateful for this. We are never truly in it alone and I thank you guys for being you! :heart:

7 Likes

Beautiful update Mandi!! Thanks for leading the way with your insights and compassion
…to your self and others. I know whatever change is coming you will dive deep and make it fruitful. :heart: Love you friend!!! :people_hugging:

2 Likes

Day 1910.

Hey friends! It’s time to check in and openly share where I’m at. :heart:

About 2 years ago I started the process of buying a home at the guidance of my higher power. I ended up getting my dream house on the river and man I’ve truly LOVED it here! But my higher power has shown me that it’s time to move on now.

This is a scary transition for me. Not only does it at times feel like I’m totally letting go of my security but mentally it also made no sense to do this right now. I’m totally prepared with all the fuel I need for this winter, I’ll likely have capital gains I need to pay by not waiting a few more months, I’ve done a lot of upgrades, I LOVE the wildlife and how private my house is on the river, the interest rates and property prices are at an all time high… it’s been really hard to wrap my head and mind around this transition.

But, this is where the rubber meets the road. Am i going to be stubborn and hold on to the wheel to stay exactly where I am, even if I may crash? Or will I let go and follow the road that’s opening up for me? Once I decided I would take a leap of faith and do this as my higher power has never steered me wrong, that day I got 3 random offers of places to stay. My higher power again stepped in and guided me very clearly on which one to take. And, it was naturally the scariest feeling option lol.

So, I’ve got a big goal of 28 days to try to get all the rest of the updates done here, to get my road grated and a culvert replaced, to prepare the new space for me to move into, to get my son moved to his dads until his apartment becomes available and get the house listed. It’s a tall order but I’m taking action, accepting help and just trusting the process.

This house has taught me SO much! There’s been a tremendous amount of growth in this space. And now it’s time to take that new energy and reintegrate with the world again. To work with others. To go on new adventures. To adapt and overcome new challenges. To not be isolated anymore. To become free in a new way. To work through new fears. And to open up my heart a little more.

I’m scared but I’m also excited. I’m going to miss this place but I’m also looking forward to this new adventure. It’s very bittersweet. I mean, with a view like this in my backyard, it’s certainly not easy to leave. But in the new space I’ll be surrounded by mountains and it’s a one minute drive to a lake so I think I’ll adjust ok! :heart:

The gifts my recovery has brought me just continue to leave me in awe and I know this next chapter is arriving for a reason. I suspect it may be a better story than the one I’m currently writing, but I’ll find out where it leads one day at a time. I just have to stay sober, keep working my recovery, get myself out of the way and keep taking the next right action.

I hope this update finds you all navigating well! Even (especially) when its not easy, the results are always worth it in the end. :heart:

8 Likes

Thinking about you Mandi as you embark on your new road/ journey! I hope it will be as exciting and enlightening for you as this last move was. Big thoughts and hugs for you. :people_hugging::people_hugging::people_hugging:

2 Likes

I always love your updates, Mandi.
Wishing you the best on this new adventure.
I can relate to a lot of your post. I just sold my house and moved on to start a new chapter. It was a very difficult decision and transition since we owned that house for 27 years. But it was time to put the past behind us and get a fresh start. My new home is on a lake which makes it much easier to accept.
Here’s to new beginnings for the both of us.

1 Like

Your beautiful little house will sell fast, freeing you along your path to the next levels of your life.
May they be as amazing as this stage was.
What a view!
But you’ll get another. There are so many beautiful views in the world that we can’t hope to see them all in a lifetime.
Go well

1 Like

So excited for you!! 2023 is a year of new beginnings/change for sure. Cannot wait to hear about your new adventures. :sparkles: Letting go can be so freeing!! :heart::people_hugging::heart:

1 Like

@Alisa thank you so much love! It’s very exciting and I’m sure more enlightenment will come along for the ride too. :heart:

@Lisa07 Aww, it really is bittersweet isn’t it? I’m proud of you for doing that. The lake is lovely too I’m sure! Here’s to new beginnings for us both! :heart:

@AyBee thank you for this, this is exactly right!! Being in the flow of life and being open to see some new views is a true gift and blessing that recovery has made possible. Thanks again my friend, I needed this confirmation. :heart:

@SassyRocks sooooo freeing! I’ve come to realize that I hold on to so many things physically so I’m headed down to my basement to let go of more weight and become free on a new level. I’m SO thankful we get to walk these paths together. Thank you for always lighting the way! :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Always “en-lighten-ing” when we dive into those depths! :sparkles:

I enjoy a good purge myself. I have found over the years the only ‘things’ I sometimes long for are family pieces (which is more indicative of my fractured family than the actual piece of furniture). Morning musings. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ooh, thank you for sharing that! My grandmother has told me she’s ok to go now that I have a lot of her “stuff” but I HAVE to keep it. Thank you for shedding some extra light on that as I already know I’m not keeping it all. I haven’t gone through the family stuff yet as it will likely be one of the last purge items I go through. I’ve been going with easier things to let go of first but that was a beautiful way to put it to assist me when it’s time. Love you! :heart:

2 Likes

Love your grandmother, wanting you to hold onto her stuff. The symbolism of family /generational ‘stuff’ is fascinating. I know whatever you choose you will do it mindfully and with respect for what was. That would honor those who came before and hopefully make your grandmother proud. :raised_hands::sparkles:Love you friend!!

2 Likes

Day 1918.

I have noticed that as things change and progress, I have to stay even more actively connected to my recovery.

2 weeks from today I start my vacation and I plan to be living in my new space during that vacation. It’s very very busy right now while getting prepared to list the house. I’m also going through a whole lifetime of “stuff” I’ve accumulated at the same time. It’s crunch time and my mind is often going a million miles a minute about all the things that need to be done and how to navigate all of these moving parts. I have had to slow down. Be in the moment. Focus on the next right thing. To accept that not everything I intended to is likely to get done at this point. To ask for help. My go-to supports are all unavailable with health issues so I’m having to branch out more. I’m in the final stages of living a pretty isolated/self-sufficient life into one of working more with others. This house has taught me I’m way more capable than I thought I was, but it’s also shown me it’s not best for me to try to do everything all on my own.

I sometimes think, “I wish this was done already” but I have to watch that thinking and get present back into the moment when that happens. It’s ok to be excited about the future but trying to skip the steps it takes me to successfully get there is part of what kept me sick for so long. I switch back to gratitude for being able to do all of this and for this new opportunity for growth. Then I do the next right thing and take some action. Move a muscle, change a thought. I have to actively WORK my recovery.

My defects can come out blaring in the transitions of life, but it’s actually a good thing as I get to see them more clearly so I can ask for them to be released. So I can take new actions that keep bringing different results. And for that, I’m grateful today.

This lovely lady showed up today to remind me that slow and steady wins the race. I’m sure going to miss the wildlife here but it’s time to interact a more with humans face to face again. :heart:

8 Likes

This moment is the universe, isn’t it? And your latest life episode reminds me of an uncommon AA saying.

Enough is a feast.

2 Likes

Day 1919.

I just have to say, my Higher Power is truly incredible beyond belief sometimes.

I start my day connecting to my HP. I ask what I need to share with others and I post what comes through to be shared as well as the “card of the day” (tarot/oracle card) on my business social media accounts. Then as I get in the shower, I ask for anything to be washed away that doesn’t serve my highest and greatest good. I ask for help to steer clear of anything that I need to stay away from. I ask for protection and to be shown the way with it being made very clear and obvious. I also add LOTS of gratitude in, especially as I finish up and get ready for my day. Today I also asked for the appliance delivery drivers to take a chance on my road to get me my new items successfully and I asked for the proper people to be placed in my path to assist me with what I need for this move.

Last night I said I’d come to the level of acceptance about some of the things likely not being fixed before moving. One of those things was my road. I had an old friend from high school I stayed in touch with offer to help me but as he puts it in his own words, he is “like trying to catch a fart in the wind” lol. It’s even funnier when you actually realize it’s true! He’s always on the go.

Today just as the appliances are all finished being installed and I started getting some stuff together to go into my van to head for the storage unit, my phone goes off and he’s asking if I’m home as he’s only 20 minutes away instead of the normal hour and a half. He came by and we talked for a few hours about sobriety, our hoarding tendencies we are both currently working on, our families, the dogs, the road, the plans we may be able to pull off to fix what we could of the road and the culvert in between his two trips out of state this month and before he intends to go to Alaska fishing at the end of the month.

As he’s getting ready to leave to go prepare for his first trip tomorrow, he hears an escavator next door and said well I’m off to go see what your neighbor is doing as I can tell that’s an escavator lol. He went over and talked to the contractor working on the recently sold lot next door to me. Turns out, because he has the equipment and the neighbor hired him to help with the road, he said he’d likely be able to do the culvert if I just paid for the pipe. That means I don’t need to do any equipment rental, no figuring out how to get a culvert here as he will transport one, no more worries on if my friend can make it back out here and how we’d arrange all of that. The whole thing just worked out SO perfectly that I think what I surrendered to may actually end up getting fixed up quite easily now.

When I ask for help, it never arrives in the way I expected. If I stay open as I ask for help, it arrives in ways much better than I could have planned myself.

I’m feeling ridiculously grateful and in awe of how well my higher power orchestrates things so beautifully tonight. :heart:

4 Likes

1 Like

I love this, thanks for sharing! :heart:

1 Like

Congrats on getting the road fixed. I have to deal with keeping a road fixed so I understand this.

1 Like

Wow! So happy it all worked out the way it was supposed to.
In early sobriety, I couldn’t grasp the phrase “don’t leave before the miracle happens”. Nowadays, they’re happening all around me (for me and others like yourself). Your day is another perfect example.

2 Likes

Day 1934.

The move is in full swing now. I’m on vacation this week and my son and I are moving everything personal out of the house to get prepared for showing and we will be living in different places by next week. My realtor wants it all done yesterday as they are ready to run with everything and thinks it will move fast, but I’m taking my time and enjoying this phase of the process. There’s a lot of work to do but I’ll never be in this space again so I’ve been slowing down and savoring the journey. And the time with my son before we begin our journey of living separately. He’s 21 and it’s time but it’s still a big change for us both. He’s been SO helpful here these past few weeks too, I’m so grateful! Not only for the help but I’m thankful we’ve been able to spend quality time working together on these projects both big and small. Sobriety has given me the gift of presence.

The items I previously mentioned I has accepted wouldn’t likely get completed before moving are actually almost finished now. One was a HUGE job but my boy and I have it under control. The things we are truly capable of doing can still surpise me at times. My higher power told me we had what it takes and it wasn’t easy but as always, I wasn’t steered wrong. The culvert is fixed too now. The big things that worried me for months were able to be handled when I surrendered my worries about them. There’s always more work to be done but it’s worth doing it. :heart:

In this next phase of life everything is going to look much different than it ever has before. I have no idea where this road is going to lead me but I fully trust it. My higher power will never steer me wrong. Everything that happens in my life is for a reason. I can feel in my soul that it’s time for this new chapter. While it can be scary to start walking down an unknown path, you also have the possibility to see something incredible you’ve never seen before. And for this opportunity, I’m grateful today. I’ve been warned by my HP that it isn’t always going to be easy but it will be worth the new views. :heart:

8 Likes

Day 1946.

My higher power often speaks to me when I’m fully present in the moment, in a calm “flow” state, usually either in nature or while doing something I enjoy. Today it was while painting and doing the final work on the old house to prepare to list it. My HP REPEATEDLY asked me to share while I painted, so I am.

Turning my will and my life over to the care of God as I understood him isn’t followed by the words if it is convenient, easy or if I want to.

This kept repeating over and over and over again. I’m not sure if this message is for me or for someone else.

In this move, I’ve been staying at the new house since Sunday. It’s good in many ways but trying in others. It’s weird and different living with others. Going from a peaceful, quiet and consistent (yet isolated) life is very different from living with other people and kids lol. It’s weird to work in the middle of the livingroom while my office gets built. It’s weird for my high strung dog. It’s gotta be weird for them too. It’s going to be more weird when another house guest arrives for 3 weeks this Friday. But, my higher power lead me here. I’m doing it, even when it’s uncomfortable.

I shared that with some of my AA ladies last night to own where I’m at. I had also asked this week for more zoom meeting links as my previous Friday night meeting no longer fits in my new schedule. I was given many meeting links and I’m SO grateful! Last night I was also given a meeting login I actually use to attend when I first joined AA 3 years ago. I had actually thought about that meeting this week too, I lost the info from a few years ago. Synchronicty transpired, but I didnt recognize it at the time. I was struggling emotionally last night and went to bed way early.

This morning I woke up and headed to the old house. Suddenly, 3 minutes before the meeting started I got this overwhelming urge to pull over and retrieve the information to log in. So I did exactly that. I joined that meeting and heard EXACTLY what I needed to today to start my day on the right foot instead of carrying the week with me. My higher power works through others often and I’m beyond grateful for @C_8 helping to light the way for me today. :heart:

I ask daily to be shown the way and to have the guidance come in to me. And when it does, I need to get myself out of the way and listen. Even when it’s not easy. Even when it’s not convenient. Even when I don’t want to. I just need to keep showing up and doing the work.

It may look a little funny when we begin to blossom but soon we’ll be stunning in full bloom. :heart:

11 Likes