March book?

Is anybody going to do a March Book of the Month? I love the concept of virtual sober book club. I go to a real life book club that involves drinking wine (but I now drink water), and talking about novels. I’m up for any relevant psychology or social science non fiction, ideally fairly serious/ scholarly.

Full disclosure: I didn’t read the February book; could tell from the first paragraph that it was not for me. But I wanted to want to.

Suggestions?

I wouldn’t mind reading “Grit”; might be interesting to discuss in the context of sobriety. Probably we wouldnt all agree with it and that would be good.

Ive been looking for a more self help ish book, but I’m having trouble finding anything that isnt intolerable, to my intolerant self.

Or a memoir about drinking, like Drinking, a love story; or a novel, like Girl on a Train, except many of us have probably read it already. Others in same general category?

"A cultural history of alcohol’ looks promising to me.

Just a sidenote I’m currently reading a biography on Chris farley called “the Chris farley show” and it is EXCELLENT. It opened up with a speech he gave at a rehab facility while he was his longest sober (but sadly as we know his battle with his demons didn’t stop there). It has been hard to put down and very touching and I recommend it.

This looks like something that would benefit me. Going to look more into it. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

If you haven’t already I HIGHLY recommend the memoir “Guts” by Kristen Johnston. She is a HUGE advocate of sobriety and has done a lot to help others. She is/was an alcoholic and opioid addict.

Description
The New York Times bestseller—a harrowing and hysterical memoir by the two-time Emmy Award-winning actress from the hit television show 3rd Rock from the Sun.

“It felt like I was speeding on the Autobahn toward hell, trapped inside a DeLorean with no brakes. And even if I could somehow stop, I’d still be screwed, because there’s no way I’d ever be able to figure out how to open those insane, cocaine-designed doors.”

Actress Kristen Johnston has written her first book, a surprisingly raw and triumphant memoir that is outrageous, moving, sweet, tragic, and heartbreakingly honest. Guts is a true achievement—a memoir that manages to be as frank and revealing as Augusten Burroughs, yet as hilarious and witty as David Sedaris. Johnston takes us on a journey so truthful and relatable, so remarkably fresh, it promises to stay with you for a long, long time.

2 Likes

Does it need to be about sobriety specifically? I have on my shelf right now waiting to be read Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown. I watched 2 Ted Talks by her and I was moved by her wisdom…and her vulnerability.

**Researcher and thought leader Dr. Brené Brown offers a powerful new vision that encourages us to dare greatly: to embrace vulnerability and imperfection, to live wholeheartedly, and to courageously engage in our lives. **

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; . . . who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” —Theodore Roosevelt

Every day we experience the uncertainty, risks, and emotional exposure that define what it means to be vulnerable, or to dare greatly. Whether the arena is a new relationship, an important meeting, our creative process, or a difficult family conversation, we must find the courage to walk into vulnerability and engage with our whole hearts.

In Daring Greatly, Dr. Brown challenges everything we think we know about vulnerability. Based on twelve years of research, she argues that vulnerability is not weakness, but rather our clearest path to courage, engagement, and meaningful connection. The book that Dr. Brown’s many fans have been waiting for, Daring Greatly will spark a new spirit of truth—and trust—in our organizations, families, schools, and communities.

1 Like

Thank you so much for suggestions! Just ordered them from library.

I utterly failed at the Feb. book. Got about halfway through and died a little inside. Lol, it wasn’t for me either.

I don’t have any suggestions for the group so I’ll wait until one is picked. Goooooo book club! :smile:

1 Like

I loved that book! (Drinking: A Love Story)

I’ve never read Drinking: A Love Story and am interrsted… I’ve already read TGOTT and liked it a lot.

So no march book?

Ugh, terrible organization.

Ok, how about Drinking, A Love Story as March book? I’m up for that.

Its hard to set up a proper poll in this format! Maybe others can vote for what should be April book? Seems like tgere are many good suggestions.

I leafed thtough the Dark Side book, and Im afraid I cant read that. But there could be two bookclub tracks if lots of others are keen on a more self helpy one.

1 Like

I found “Dark Side” at the library so I am going to check that out… Here is the author’s NYT obit, she apparently died of cancer in 2013: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/books/debbie-ford-57-author-of-motivational-books.html

I had never heard of her before, but she lived in La Jolla, in San Diego. Here are some video clips of her talking to Oprah in case anyone is interested: http://www.supersoul.tv/tag/debbie-ford

What book does everyone want to read…?

Yeah you did! Sorry I bailed! :grin:
Personally (and at this stage in my recovery) I prefer books where someone talks about how they navigated their own addictions. Those fascinate me, especially when they talk about the depths of their crazy ass despair and how bad it got, how they used, how they rationalized it for a short time, etc.

I think I’ll skip march and work on my new project! :smile:

1 Like

I know I can’t read “Dark Side”, or anything too self-help-y. Just personal preference and knowledge of what I personally will and won’t be helped by. If we want something sort of Buddhist Spiritual, I’d be up for any more historical Buddhist writing, like some Jakarta tales. Or, as I said, I’m up for “Drinking”, or pretty much any other book that has been mentioned in this thread. I might even be able to read the vulnerability one, though I’m not sure. I’m planning to read “Drinking”.

I don’t want anybody to be made to feel alone by what should be a community building thing! That’s sad and we shouldn’t do it. Maybe the key is to set things up so we don’t create too many expectations.

Maybe we can each read whichever book or books mentioned in this thread seem most attractive to them on own personal journey, and share any responses we have, as much or little as we like. Books of March, not a single book. And/or, going forward, we could have a thread sharing any books we’ve recently read that are at all addiction-related, with any thoughts we want to share.

I like reading the memoir type books. I heard nick sheff writes some pretty good books. So im mostly up to read whatever.

1 Like

My therapist is worried because i have no friends in my sobriety. Im at 163 days sober. So im trying to get involved in stuff. I think since i love reading a book club would be perfect to start!

3 Likes

wow 163 days is awesome. And dont worry you have hundreds of friends on here! :family_men_girls: