Marking the days

So today is day 2, I almost have everything out of site and gone from my presence to resist temptation.
I feel I’m going at this strong but I’m worried bout things I don’t need to worry about. My anxiety is always worse without it. I’m tryin to depend on my meds and keeping busy but it doesn’t mean I’m not struggling. But I keep fighting for a new day. And I’m fighting for my son :green_heart:

26 Likes

The fight is worth it. Good for you :innocent: Obe day at a time!

Looks like a beautiful spot! I love the waterfront, the riverside. It’s peaceful.

5 Likes

Best reason ever. But…you first. :blush: As they tell us on every flight… put the oxygen mask on yourself… prior to helping those you love. You got this. We’re all here! Just for today. That’s all it takes. Peace.

4 Likes

Would you please articulate what exactly is your recovery plan?

Such a beautiful picture and so much love there in it! :heartbeat:

1 Like

I don’t have a recovery plan. I wouldn’t even know how to make one. I’m just taking one day at a time and hoping for the best.

1 Like

Good for you for taking this journey. A plan can start with a simple list of actions you are taking to stay sober other than just not drink. Some ideas:

• Avoid people, places and things that can cause trigger for you, or have in the past, places or gatherings that serve alcohol for example.
  • Visit this site daily and check in on this thread you started to stay accountable, you can also check in here with the community: Checking in daily
  • Spend time reading here, as much as possible, to hear others’ stories and ways they have maintained their sobriety to get some ideas of what else you can do for yourself.
  • There are other support groups you can check out to get in person support. This site has been the most important one for me personally and by interacting here and reading everyday I stay focused and motivated.

There are plenty of other things you can add to a recovery plan, and learning from others here can help you add things that you think could work for you. You can always try something and if it doesn’t work for you, tuck that away - you never know what can change in you and your life along the way.

Lastly, connection is vital, wherever you can get it. We can’t do this alone (well that’s my opinion of course) so reach out when you’re needing help. So glad you posted here.

1 Like

Thank you but drinking isn’t my issue. But same rules apply, and I appreciate that. I don’t have much of a support system besides my counselors, suicide/abuse hotline and you guys here. I do try to read as much as possible but my time is limited… I take care of an 8 yr old disabled child and don’t have much help. Thank you for all the kind words :green_heart:

1 Like

Ah, I apologize for the assumption. I hope you lean on what supports you do have and try your best to make time for self care when you have. If it helps, I believe there are threads here about parents of special needs children if that’s something you’re interested in getting support for, and you can search using the magnifying glass at the top for topics more relevant to your needs. There are all kinds here! Thanks for responding and clarifying. :heartpulse:

1 Like

Hi, Foxy. Thanks for the reply. And honesty.

The question I ask and you should ask yourself is: do you WANT a plan to get well and stay well?

A second question to ask yourself is whether you have thought through your substance use disorder enough to have considered different options to get help to get well?

If you answered the second question as “no”, you are not ready to get well yet. If you answered “yes” then keep thinking it over and try to reach a point where you have enough interest to reach out to get a professional substance use disorder assessment. If you get one that uses ASAM criteria they should also assess for co-occurring mental health disorders. This could be critical for some persons trying to reach recovery in their addiction or alcoholism.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. I appreciate that.