Maybe tomorrow

Today I surpassed 72 days sober, which has been the longest I have abstained from alcohol in the last 7 years. I would be lieing if I said I don’t think about drinking, or crave a fifth anymore. But the wandering thoughts are slowly dissipating as I begin to fill my time with other activities.

The thought of staying sober forever used to freak me out. But I realized that was me living in the future, when we arent even guaranteed today. So when I have a fleeting thought of drinking I say to myself “maybe tomorrow, I just want to know what it feels like to get to the end of today sober” which shouldn’t surprise anyone, curiosity is normal, and that’s what is driving me to finish out each moment.

This is my first post. I want to thank everyone who came together to share their stories and progress through this forum. I have been reading as a guest for over two months and it really made me realize I wasnt alone. (Although that was an irrational thought, I felt alone when it’s quite obvious it doesn’t have to be like that)

From the bottom of my heart, I truly wish that everyone who is struggling with addiction finds peace.

Much love

Dakota Bryan

20 Likes

Great post! Welcome and congrats on 72 days😉

You certainly nailed it @dakota_bryan26.

May be tomorrow… that’s one good way to manage cravings… liked it.

@dakota_bryan26
It scares me too. The phrase: i don’t drink today, helps me.
And when I quit smoking 2,5 years ago, the thought of I can smoke again when I am an old lady :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: was oke. Not the never again part​:v:️

Congrats on 72 days!!! Your post is spot on😎

Reviving this thread as it is a very insightful message/tool.

If you’re struggling with the idea of “forever sober” and cannot imagine life without it, just think… maybe tomorrow I’ll get drunk.

Chances are good that if you stay sober today, you can stay sober tomorrow.

Am I gonna drink today? Nope. But maybe tomorrow I’ll drink.

1 Like