Me and my partner 7 days strong

Today is been a great day spending a sober time with my love. Times have been difficult at some points but the temptation to drink is minimal. We started attending meetings got our self a home group and really just looking to get back into the program. We are looking for advice on couples moving forward we have been adding activities that we have never done before such as arts n crafts playing music video games n reading to each other but most importantly talking about our problem with alchol my question is what helps you guys in early recovery to support each other but at the same time work on yourself to maintain sobriety thanks in advance and with that i wish you all and we will take one ourselves another 24 much :heart:

6 Likes

There are multiple people up here that quit their habit together with their partner. I hope they respond to you as well.
Welcome back and happy for the both of you that you have a whole week sober together :facepunch:

4 Likes

Welcome back! And congratulations to u and ur partner on 1 week!

My husband and i quit our DOC february 13 2022. We just celebrated 2 years clean. It really is possible to recover as a couple but its definitly alot more work in my opinion than doing it alone.

I had to focus on myself and do what was necessary for my own recovery, while he recovered in his own way. I had to give him that time to do what he needed to do and he gave me my time to do what i needed to do to stay clean. It wasnt always easy for sure. I know that in the beginning of our recovery, it felt as if we didnt really know each other anymore. My husband and I met while using drugs so that was in our relationship from the beginning. So learning to be together while clean and sober was also like discovering who each other was all over again. Which can be exciting for sure and I think what youre doing with finding hobbies and interests together is fantastic.

As for supporting each other, i would say its important to give each other that time to work on ur own recoveries. If ur doing meetings and eventually step work with a sponsor, making sure that that is a priority and giving each other that time to do what is really important. Our recovery has to come first bcuz without it, we have nothing. In early recovery, I also made sure not bring up the fact that I was craving to use. Why? Because if I am wanting to use and i caught my partner at a weak moment also, wed both cave and use. Thats the tricky thing about recovering together (especially in early recovery). Each person can potentially sway the other into using/drinking during a weak moment. So what i found helpful was if I was triggered and wanting to use, id use my supports instead of putting that responsibility on my partner to help me. My husband had his own recovery to work thru and even though he is my partner, he isnt my counsellor or sponsor, if that makes sense.

I think recovery is an individual thing where 2 people recover on their own yet share in the joys of recovery together :slight_smile: It is very possible but i truly do believe its important to stay focused on recovery first and then the relationship second. Things will fall into place in the relationship if both people do the work in their recoveries. Wishing u both all the best!

4 Likes

Resources for our recovery

there’s a great book list on here for you guys to read to each other! :smiley: my fav was Leslie Jamieson The Recovering.

all the best to you both!

1 Like

Welcome back!
My husband joined me at about 2 years into my journey. What works for us is keeping our paths separate but reaping the benefits together. We only go to 1 meeting together every few weeks where it’s mostly couples anyway. I find I can’t open up as freely when he’s there so I go to a few women only meetings weekly on my own. Our sober activities together are amazing. We do so many fun things together as a family now. Movies, dinners, bowling, site seeing, AA outings and more.

4 Likes