Meditation for beginners

I know its early days, i,m into day 4 . Downloaded the Serenity meditation app, i always thought of meditation as a bit kooky and for hippies , but this is totally helping me to focus , I find the instruction clear and just at the right level for a beginner . Anyone else find meditation helps?

9 Likes

Its awesome. I love myself a good bodyscan to calm my mind.

1 Like

Absolutely. I started meditating as a way of dealing with panic attacks and it quickly became part of my life in recovery. I tried loads of apps and the Smiling Mind one is my favourite. I have a Body Scan and SOS meditation saved for ā€˜emergenciesā€™ and go to meditation meetings at my local Buddhist centre at least once a week.

Glad to hear that itā€™s helping you too :+1:

3 Likes

I love the feeling of a good meditation but not really into guided ones anymore bc just as I get in the zone some twat starts speaking and makes me jump out my skin.

1 Like

The book ā€œbliss moreā€ by light Watkins was Recommended to me on this forum. It changed my life so much I do 20-40 minutes meditation each day I look forward to it the more I do it the better my life seems to be. Or i seem to handle it better

3 Likes

Your comment just made me laugh out loud!

I get easily distracted with a person talking over themā€¦ I end up looking up the person to see what they look like.

I used the Breethe mediation app for awhile when I was at my worst with anxiety and insomnia. One of the hypnosis instructors on there is Australian I think, and his recordings put me out in under 5 minutes everytime lolā€¦

yes, i have a religious background

Iā€™ve used the Headspace App in the past. It was good (but see @Dolse71 comment above. Thereā€™s some truth there! :laughing:)
I really like Jon Kabat-Zinn - two books:
ā€œWherever you go, there you areā€ and ā€œMindfulness for Beginnersā€. Now that Iā€™ve googled him, his website looks like it has some guided meditations - I might have to try those!

https://www.mindfulnesscds.com/

1 Like

Meditation helps me as wellā€¦I seem much more focused and am able to let the thoughts go without harping on the negative. Iā€™m currently using the calm app

1 Like

Iā€™ve been meditating since I was ten, soā€¦25 years :blush:. Itā€™s always been a part of my life, sometimes very central sometimes not. During quarantine I recommitted to a daily practice and then when I stopped drinking it has grown even stronger. Just ten minutes a day usually, and it definitely helps me to just slow down and find clarity. I practice a technique called shamatha-vipashyana. I also lead meditation workshops from time to time. If you have any questions as a beginner Iā€™m happy to talk about it!

2 Likes