Memoirs/books about recovery

I’d like some book recommendations please. Specifically about getting sober and recovery process. I’ve read a million little pieces which was amazing but brutal. I’d also recommend Girl walks out of a bar, that was good. Im looking specifically for memoirs rather than self help type books. I think the sadist in me likes to know how deep other people sank if that makes sense! Everyone has a different rock bottom.
Thanks!

4 Likes

I really liked Guts and Drink. Guts is memoir, Drink is a mix of memoir as well as science.

I’m still waiting for my copy of Recovery from the library.

Edit: I also read Mrs D. Is Going without but she annoyed me. I have Naked Mind but not sure if I’ll like it…I REALLY dislike her podcast.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll check it out, thanks!

1 Like

Not sure if you like running…but “running ransom road” is a great recovery book and memoir of a guy that ran marathons in each place he lived. He recounts all the lows he sank to and runs the marathons in those places as a means of redemption. The author did an audible version too…he had a great voice

1 Like

Night of the Gun was a good book. Check it out!

1 Like

In addition to A Girl Walks Out of a Bar, I enjoyed “Blackout: Remembering the things I drank to forget” by Sarah Hepola. I’m currently reading “Lit” a Memoir by Mary Karr which is very good so far.

1 Like

I actually am starting a book club for this exact genre! I haven’t read it yet… but the first book we are reading is “Wild” From lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed, and to follow we will read “How to grow and Addict” by J.A. Wright.

1 Like

Definitely interested in following this thread. I am in the book club discussion and just got a digital copy of Recovery: Freedom From All Our Addictions that I am going to start reading tonight. I’m always look for good books to read.

1 Like

Fall River dreams

1 Like

Also A Million Little Pieces was pretty much fake.

2 Likes

I love some AA books and think I would even if I was not in the program. The Big Book and the 12 and 12.

I read a million little pieces and while it was definitely an exaggerated version of the truth I enjoyed the book. It’s easy to get distracted by the fact that the man who wrote it was full of shit but the content of the book over all was a good read.

1 Like

I have not read Addict To Ironman by Robert Downey Jr but a friend of mine said it was amazing and I am in the process of acquiring a digital copy of it to read.

I have a general distrust of normies, rational or not. Especially ones that try to capitalize on our disease. If that dude would have written a book on his fight with cancer when he never had it people would have flogged him in the town square.

3 Likes

Cupcake by cupcake brown. So good. All about her addiction and how she went from a addict , dealer and prostitute , to a lawyer . Highly recommend it .

1 Like

I’ve read this too. I couldn’t put it down. I also recommend it. I love bios and auto bios so I usually wander the isle till I find cool looking ones (bad way to find a book) so far it’s been one of my faves

Hey how was the book? Did you enjoy