Mental health memes and discussion (Part 2)

Some excerpts from a New York Times article about Thich Nhat Hanh, RIP, 1926- 2022

By Seth Mydans

Jan. 22, 2022, 5:20 a.m. ET

Thich Nhat Hanh, the influential Zen master, died at 95 on Saturday in the Vietnamese city of Hue, at the temple where he lived. A prolific author, poet and teacher, he believed in what he called “engaged Buddhism,” applying Buddhist principles to social issues as well as to daily life. Here is a modest selection of his thoughts, drawn from books, speeches and published interviews.

"On slowing down

“There is no need to run, strive, search or struggle. Just be. Just being in the moment in this place is the deepest practice of meditation. Most people cannot believe that just walking as if you have nowhere to go is enough.”

“The Buddha said, ‘My practice is the practice of nonpractice.’ That means a lot. Give up all struggle. Allow yourself to be, to rest.”

“People talk about entering nirvana, but we are already there. Aimlessness and nirvana are one.”

“Many of us have been running all our lives. Practice stopping.”

" On meditation

“Breathing in, repeat, ‘in the here, in the here.’ Breathing out, ‘in the now, in the now.’ Although these are different words, they mean exactly the same thing. I have arrived in the here, I have arrived in the now. I am home in the here. I am home in the now.”

“So please, when you practice meditation or walking meditation, don’t make any effort. Allow yourself to be like that pebble at rest. The pebble is resting at the bottom of the river and the pebble does not have to do anything. While you are walking, you are resting. While you are sitting, you are resting.”

“To meditate means to go home to yourself. Then you know how to take care of the things that are happening inside you, and you know how to take care of the things that happen around you.”

“Just be. Just being in the moment in this place is the deepest practice of meditation.”

"On mindfulness
“With mindfulness, you can establish yourself in the present in order to touch the wonders of life that are available in that moment.”

“Many people are alive but don’t touch the miracle of being alive.”

“Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves — slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this moment is life.”

"On suffering

“We have the tendency to run away from suffering and to look for happiness. But, in fact, if you have not suffered, you have no chance to experience real happiness.”

“Buddhism teaches us not to try to run away from suffering. You have to confront suffering. You have to look deeply into the nature of suffering in order to recognize its cause, the making of the suffering.”
"“People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.”

On fear

“Most of us experience a life full of wonderful moments and difficult moments. But for many of us, even when we are most joyful, there is fear behind our joy.”

“Fearlessness is not only possible, it is the ultimate joy. When you touch nonfear, you are free.”

On happiness

“There is no way to happiness — happiness is the way.”

Seth Mydans reported as a foreign and national correspondent for The New York Times and its sister publication, The International Herald Tribune, from 1983 to 2012. He continues to contribute to The Times.

11 Likes

Love this!!!
I have been working really hard on replacing judgement with curiosity in my life and it makes such a huge difference.

Thanks for the visual.
:kissing_heart:

4 Likes

For those of us that need to hear this…

12 Likes

11 Likes

10 Likes

8 Likes

9 Likes

6 Likes

10 Likes

That’s a Great one !!

2 Likes

3d5f62f85ec06df6ea541e56f6be8553

14 Likes

I know mental health and life in general affects how accessible ‘fun’ is - but building in more things that give me little sparks of genuine happiness, fun, joy, whatever, has been so important as I emerged from the cloud of depression last year. Actually prioritising things that aren’t productive - not specifically ‘healing’ activities. Just things that let me be in that moment and smile without trying. Not reaching for constant euphoria, no pressure to be happy all the time, just more nice little moments.

Might do a fun February thread if I get round to it but for now, something I wanted to share here :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

6 Likes

My depression always seems to come over me out of the blue. I’m working out, eating healthy, being social. Then I just feel it slowly settle in. I wish I knew why.
Just a reminder that it’s okay to not be okay, and you aren’t alone

12 Likes

7 Likes

13 Likes

It could be PAWS. ( Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)
"Post-acute withdrawal symptoms typically last between 1 and 2 years; however, the severity and frequency of symptoms tend to dissipate as times goes by without the use of addictive substances.

Post-acute withdrawal syndrome can be not only discomforting, but symptoms can appear sporadically, making PAWS a driving factor for many individuals to relapse, despite how committed they are to staying clean and sober. Regardless of the addictive substance(s) used, PAWS are typically the same for most individuals in early recovery from substance use disorders (SUD)."

3 Likes

:sunflower:

8 Likes

That’s what I hate the worst… when I’m having a great day and then suddenly I’m not. And it NEVER happens in reverse. I’ve never in my life been in the middle of a depressive funk and spotaneously burst out into happiness. :confused:

7 Likes

@Rockstar24777

I admire your strength everyday. You are someone I can look to in my recovery when things get really hard and know that I can get through my stuff clean too. You will never know the value that your recovery has to so many of us as you continue to push through this loss. Thank you. Love you brother.

:heart::seedling:

6 Likes