Mental health memes and discussion (Part 3)

7 Likes

5 Likes

:sweat_smile:

10 Likes

10 Likes

8 Likes

“RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE.”

“When I was at one of my lowest (mental) points in life, I couldn’t get out of bed some days. I had no energy or motivation and was barely getting by.

I had therapy once per week, and on this particular week, I didn’t have much to ‘bring’ to the session. He asked how my week was and I really had nothing to say.

“What are you struggling with?” he asked.

I gestured around me and said “I dunno man. Life.”

Not satisfied with my answer, he said “No, what exactly are you worried about right now? What feels overwhelming? When you go home after this session, what issue will be staring at you?”

I knew the answer, but it was so ridiculous that I didn’t want to say it. I wanted to have something more substantial. Something more profound. But I didn’t. So I told him,

“Honestly? The dishes. It’s stupid, I know, but the more I look at them the more I CAN’T do them because I’ll have to scrub them before I put them in the dishwasher, because the dishwasher sucks, and I just can’t stand and scrub the dishes.”

I felt like an idiot even saying it. What kind of grown woman is undone by a stack of dishes? There are people out there with actual problems, and I’m whining to my therapist about dishes? But my therapist nodded in understanding and then said:

“RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE.”

I began to tell him that you’re not supposed to, but he stopped me.

“Why the hell aren’t you supposed to? If you don’t want to scrub the dishes and your dishwasher sucks, run it twice. Run it three times, who cares? Rules do not exist, so stop giving yourself rules.”

It blew my mind in a way that I don’t think I can properly express.

That day, I went home and tossed my smelly dishes haphazardly into the dishwasher and ran it three times. I felt like I had conquered a dragon. The next day, I took a shower lying down. A few days later. I folded my laundry and put them wherever they fit. There were no longer arbitrary rules I had to follow, and it gave me the freedom to make accomplishments again.

Now that I’m in a healthier place, I rinse off my dishes and put them in the dishwasher properly. I shower standing up. I sort my laundry. But at a time when living was a struggle instead of a blessing, I learned an incredibly important lesson:

THERE ARE NO RULES. RUN THE DISHWASHER TWICE! “

“ Credit ~ Kate Scott “

15 Likes

Ooof I feel that took a shower laying down comment. I’m glad I’m not currently there but I have been. 🩶🩷

5 Likes

12 Likes

5 Likes

This is one of the most powerful things I’ve ever read :pray: I’m glad that I’m not alone in figuring out unconventional solutions when I’m struggling with life.

3 Likes

A total down day, as they sometimes are. Was thinking of starting a new thread, then remembered this one, so had a look thru once again. I used to post and visit it often, not so much lately. Idk…sometimes I feel more connected to threads…other times not so much. Lots of musings today with being in my head. Using my tools and all that. Down days…not my fave…but gratefully no longer an excuse to drink. Life, physically aging, elderly parents, kids, blah blah blah…sometimes it hits all at once. Delving into the darkness that has always been with me…as I used to decades, literally decades ago…tho then lost so much time to the substances…the knowledge is still there, the healing. The darkness offers opportunity…to unearth, to dig. Am I up to it? It feels like all I want to do these days, weeks, months is rest, rest and find calm and peace. Digging in the dirt. :heart::people_hugging::heart:

11 Likes

6 Likes

I’m definitely with you in spirit today. I chose rest today and didn’t do much of anything but it was a conscious choice and I refused to feel any which way about it. I was just in it. The down-ness. And I’m finding it important to make space for it so that it doesn’t grip me as much overall - that can happen if I fight it too much. I hope you will listen to your body and mind and accept the need for rest at times. Pushing through it and digging deep is important but there is plenty of time for that, as well. :heartpulse:

7 Likes

Maybe it’s the full moon yesterday but I third the down day. Felt quite crippled with anxiety and depression today. Felt sorry for myself. Felt angry at the world and not being able to do what I wanna do and get away with it.

Tomorrow is another day, we go again.

7 Likes

:people_hugging:

3 Likes

4th here on that down day. Something in the water maybe.
These days we only get through it with kindness so let me assure each of you:
@SassyRocks
@RosaCanDo
@Tragicfarinelli
And @TrustyBird
I @ed myself because I need this too,

We’ve taken away our negative coping skills so we just get to feel this. Maybe its trying to tell us something, maybe it just needs attention. My plan is to get through work without crying and go home to watch something that stirs my blood up so I can feel something other than down. Moods are moods and this too shall pass. Sending each of you a hug, a sunbeam on your face in a cozy chair and a glass of iced tea with the perfect amount of ice. :confused::relieved:

11 Likes

Thank you for your honestly Sassy. Certainly makes me feel less alone in my similar feelings. - Thank you for the reference to the full moon @Tragicfarinelli , it was the first thing I thought of and always my go to when things feel off. Thank you @RosaCanDo for always having caring words - and thank you @TrustyBird for the reminder we are all here together and what a blessing that is. It’s so nice to know we’re not alone and certainly makes such a difference. We could start a new thread …and call it … Howling at the Moon. Or Stargazers. Mostly, thank you all for making this a better night than it would have been had I not read these comments.

10 Likes

Oh, I love this. Yes, the moon does have that pull…grateful for the reminder and not being alone in this.

7 Likes

7 Likes

8 Likes