Missteps; How I Messed Up My Journey (TW: SH)

If you’re comfortable, talk about some mistakes you’ve made in your recovery. This Topic can be used as a rant platform or asking for help. Whatever you want.

4 Likes

You’d never believe what just happend. My recovery was going well, but I had to bathe. For context, it’s a big trigger for me. So… I did it. I took a pair of dull scissors and sliced open my ribs. I didn’t even realize I had earned my 3 day token just seconds before. I had to reset. It sucked.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking what are your triggers around bathing being a trigger. Is it self image, self esteem, something else. You dont have to answer but while bathing may be a trigger figuring out why its a trigger might help in figuring out something you can do before you bath to help midigate the thoughts and behaviors. Maybe journeying or art or something that changes those thoughts to curb the process

1 Like

I think it’s because I see all of this skin and it feels fresh and new and I, for some reason, feel the itch and need to harm it. Most of my reasons to cut revolve around anxiety caused by other people, but when I step out of the bath or shower, I have this unquenchable desire to hurt myself.

2 Likes

First 2 times I went to rehab… I did it to please my family and partner…that didnt help. I wasn’t fully invested in it. It was a lot different when I decided to do it for myself…

1 Like

Yeah you can never love someone enough to make them change. The only way for a person to change is to wanit for themselves

1 Like

Hmm. Im not really sure what to say. I think this might be something you want to see a therapist about as they would have much better ways to help you deal with this than i could give advice on.

1 Like

Idk if this would help bc it’s not to do with your addiction but maybe for the time being :woman_shrugging: When I became overweight from drinking and depressed bc of it, I avoided mirrors. When I’d get out of the shower I’d literally close my eyes, turn away from the mirror, and get dressed as soon as possible so I didn’t have to see my body. I’ve also suffered from dermatillomania in the past and this helped with that as well. The less skin you see, the less temptation to focus on it. All the best :pray:

4 Likes

Hey, so I tried your method. I got out of the shower and immediately closed my eyes. I forced myself to not think of SH or scars or whatever. This is the first time in about a year I was able to clean myself without immediately dirtying myself with blood. Wow, that’s vulgar. Whatever, it’s my truth. I just wanted to say thanks.

6 Likes

Omg! :astonished: I’m so happy it actually worked! Sometimes I just throw stuff out there that worked for me but I’m like “eh…is this actually good advice? :grimacing:” Well, your very welcome! Goodluck with your journey :pray:

1 Like