Mocktails or zero alcohol beer

So… been playing with the idea of trying some zero alcohol beer. But theres that part of my brain that think it might be to close to the real thing and flip off my sober switch. Then again, im thinking it will make the thought of wanting a beer go away if I drink the zero alcohol one and it doesnt do anything for me. Thoughts?

4 Likes

Ahhh the mocktail na beer discussion…you’ll find lots of thread on this topic (use search icon above)and opinions vary. My sponsor says to stay away. Ive tried some na wine and it was ok…id treat myself every once and awhile. But now im trying to lose weight and they are choke full of sugar.

Just reading your words…i would advise you to stay away. You want a strong foundation in sobriety and your fears are very valid. Explore that.

Plus the cravings dont go away with a substitute they go away with working a program and processing why you became an alcoholic in the first place.

9 Likes

Im with @Cjp on this one. Even though alcohol was not my DOC, i dont even take the chance with any sort of similar substitution. I kind of think, “why take the risk of potentially ruining my recovery?”. Yes, its alcohol free but mentally it could trigger me which could lead me to a relapse. Thats just my 2 cents on it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I understand that those n/a beers and wines can still contain trace amounts of alcohol. I would be cautious with those.

2 Likes

Personally, I steer clear from NA beer because I would be afraid that if I could handle a fake one that I’d think that I could handle a real one, and then talk myself into it. Just not worth it.

3 Likes

I think there is a place and time for those. And, also how long you’ve been sober and why you want the mocktail in the first place. One of the millionth times that I tried to get sober, I thought I could just replace my glass with NA wine. As if it was just merely the action that was the danger HA! All it did was piss my brain off and I was back to the booze in no time. However, at about 5 months sober, I went to Disneyworld with my family. They brought me NA pina coladas. I was like NOOOO it will trigger me! No. It didnt lol It was like a nice little treat :yum: No triggers at all. Have I tried NA wine since I became sober this time? No. I just don’t want to because I’d rather have iced water, diet coke, or something tastier. It’s purely a personal and time/place thing IMO.

6 Likes

Just to throw in another angle, down under in NZ NA beer and wine is just as expensive if not more than the real deal. So you won’t get the theoretical saving that ST predicts. I just enjoy buckets of ice, water and lemon, lime and bitters, and I said theoretical because my bank account for some reason doesn’t match my ST saviings.
And getting off the subject somewhat, we have a hefty excise tax on alcohol so maybe getting ripped off with NA dinnks. Just wondering.
Ultimately, all the advice will tell you, your body will thank you for sticking with water. (and a slice of lemon and ice). Good luck.

3 Likes

NA drinks sometimes taste ‘empty’ because there is no buzz, and that can be frustrating and triggering. But at other times it can be a useful ‘replacement’ in a social setting, like a wedding, BBQ etc. Like many others, I just prefer the taste of soft drinks ginger ale or oolong tea.

4 Likes

I dont have them…wouldnt want to have them…i dont want to drink so why would i have something that looks and tastes anything like it? …just my take :heart:

1 Like

If you are conflicted and worried about it I would stay away from them. Not worth it.

5 Likes

For me…its a no. To close to the real stuff…to close to the old life style I lived…

2 Likes

Yeah def like they all say as well to STAY AWAY. You know you don’t need anything getting you back into old habits cause that’s why you did all of this in the first place why ruin it with something that truly isn’t even alcohol. Keep up the good work u can do it and we all know that hard work truly does pay off in the end keep it going and keep making that next right decision :cowboy_hat_face: :wink:

3 Likes

Soda water and lime alot better

4 Likes

Thats kind of why I think i haven’t tried them.

1 Like

I steer clear of anything that resembles my drinking in the past. I keep my ice tea in a tumbler. I no longer have wine glasses in my cabinets, nor cork screws in my drawer. That ritual of wine drinking has been put to rest.

1 Like

I can only speak from my own experience.
I am 4 months sober and have some zero beer in the fridge. I enjoy them when Im working around the house.
Sometimes if Ive had a hard day I’ll come home and drink 2 compared to 12 alcoholic beers.
The beer’s tast exactly the same.
I find I drink them less now I have quit smoking.

1 Like

Glad to hear you’ve found a bit of pleasure with the NA products.

I have once a month a zero beer as reminder how nasty (zero) beer actually tastes.
So for me it’s a good reminder for not buying the real stuff.