More than just hard work

Recently I heard Matthew Perry say that “ if we could get sober from hard work or by muscling it in we’d have been sober 20 years ago”. I related to this so much. I’ve always felt like it only took hard work, stubbornness or muscling through it to get sober and have always failed. Listening to him speak made me realize I can’t do it alone and it’s the first time I’ve ever felt it was ok to rely on friends and family for help. It’s the first time I’ve wanted to build or be a part of a support system.

24 Likes

The opposite of addiction is connection. Not mine but it has become my credo. We can’t do it alone and we’re in this together. For me my peers have been instrumental. I needed them first, my fellows, before I could start (re)building other relationships. It’s good to see you Raymond.

12 Likes

Glad you are here. Lots of support and help for you here.

4 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

That’s what I’m learning after all these years of failed attempts. I’ve always been a very independent person but I’m learning how to let others in to be there for me little by little. Going back to AA meetings has been my first step and I’m putting in the work

5 Likes

It does take work though but the beauty is it’s not hard, sobriety in its purest form is simple or at least a combination of many simple things. Forget everything you think you know about alcohol and recovery bc so far you are wrong and let the people of AA show you an easier way.
I wish you well on your journey :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Howdy Raymond what a wonderful name . for me desire and effort and willing to do anything to stay sober helped me and meetings and it worked still sober wish you well

I hear ya, @Mimezombie . I thought exactly the same thing and couldn’t figure out why I would relapse over and over. I felt like a miserable failure. then I found this community and it has made all the difference! Connection with others who understand addiction, and supporting each other-it’s a beautiful thing! For me, using the daily check in thread helps me set my intention each day. Coming here whenever I feel the urge to drink also helps a lot. :heart::peace_symbol: