Movies Check-in / Reviews đŸ“Œ

Good documentary about alcohol available in german and French, talking a lot about UK and Europe but also Africa

Very unusual watch for us tonight. But it was my daughters birthday. :heart:

The devil made me do it :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Happy birthday daughter dazer! :tada::tada::tada::tada:

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or I just notice these movies that are about addiction more so now that I’m finally getting help for mine. I recently watched The Way Back by Ben Affleck. If you guys don’t know, he has dealt with alcoholism for a long time and back in 2018 went to rehab for a second time. Immediately after getting out, he starting working in this film. Some people around him weren’t sure it was a good idea, playing a alcoholic on screen, with everything he’s been through but Ben Affleck said the opposite, that it was therapeutic for him.
His character Jack Cunningham was one of the best highschool basketball players. Jack, and his wife seperate after the loss of their child. Jack turns to drinking heavily. Almost every scene he is drinking, beer at home, at the bar and even at his work, pouring vodka into his coffee tumbler.
He is asked to coach the team he once played for and that’s the part of the movie that was “meh” to me. The whole sports side of it, while entertaining at some points, it hit ALL of the typical sport movie tropes. But it’s really not even about basketball, it’s a basketball movie with the main focus not on basketball.
The best part, for me, was how real and raw the acting from Ben was, especially knowing, that he deals with this in real life and I myself dealing with it, it is very relatable and really hits home the emotional of it all. On and off the bottle throughout the movie, lying and making excuses, just like I do about his drinking.

Overall I really enjoyed it. It has a dark feeling throughout because of the subject it tackles and just how real and authentic it was.
I really enjoyed the music in it too, a couple tracks stuck out and really helped to drive the scene home.

I give it The Way Back a solid 7 out of 10

What did you think of the movie? And what other movies that tackle addiction do you recommend?

2 Likes

I really liked this movie too. I’d say 8/10. Ben ‘played’ the role really well and it was definitely relatable.

*edit. Following for recommendations too. I think there may be a thread on this specifically somewhere but damned if I can find it :sweat_smile: if I do I’ll post the link here

1 Like

Got it!!

3 Likes

8/10 is definitely fair. Ben was a 10/10 himself in that movie, including the direction.

1 Like

Oh very cool, thanks for posting!

1 Like

No worries at all :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What did you think?

All the You Tube trailers I saw hyped it up so we went to the theatres to see it I don’t have HBO max and wanted to get out of the house

I thought it was alright, wasn’t worth the price of admission tho

1 Like

I only watched it for my daughter. It was her birthday. I don’t usually watch those movies since the good old days of the Exorcist and The Omen.
But it wasn’t that bad. Not that good either. I definitely wouldn’t pay to see it. They liked the first one better. Typical.

1 Like

The Trial of the Chicago 7 was excellent

1 Like

A movie I havent seen in awhile, but I currently want to watch again is St. Vincent with Bill Murray. Warning. You will likely cry at the end. Fantastic film.

1 Like

I agree that it was ok, and the first one was way better

The Exorcist and The Omen are classics you can’t beat them

1 Like

I loved wynona ryder in this flick!

@Ceeds
:joy: :joy: :joy:
My fave too.

2 Likes

Thats a great film! :joy:

1 Like

Ya it is. That’s where I’m from. :joy: