My day two.. hopefully to more

I’m new here and I’ve never done anything like this before. However, I feel like I’m going to need this. I’m 34. I’ve been clean from coke for over a decade but slid really deep into alcohol the past couple years (after being sober for a few years beforehand)… a couple days ago I got behind the wheel black out and while no one got hurt, I did cause damage to my car and nearly got myself killed. I revisited where I was picked up that night and I came so close that it sent me into a panic attack.

Oddly enough, I started drinking again to ease off panic attacks… And it worked for awhile! At least I thought so. The past couple days I have been super high alert and I don’t like it at all. I just, need to do this because I don’t want to hurt anyone or myself. I feel a little lost so I’m sorry if this is all over.

8 Likes

It’s ok Lexi. One day at a time. One hour at a time. One minute at a time. That’s how you move forward.

Welcome to Talking Sober! Looking forward to seeing you around :innocent:

3 Likes

Those are good reasons to want to get sober. Hang on to those reasons, remind yourself every day. As time passes, more reasons to stay sober that you weren’t aware of will manifest themselves. At least, they did for me.

4 Likes

Welcome Lexi. I wasn’t a heavy drinker in the past and I could go months at a time without a drink but that all changed very quickly. I was one of those people that said “I’ll never drink at work” until that one day I did at lunch and totalled my car on my way back to work. That was a huge eye opener. I’m thankful I didn’t kill someone. Now I use that experience as motivation to stay sober. What I’m getting at is make a list of all the reasons you want to be sober and refer to that list when the thought of drinking crosses your mind.

4 Likes

How are you doing Lexi? It seems like you made the post and left. We’re all here for you if sobriety is what you want.

1 Like

I’m doing okay. I went back to work after taking a break to gather myself a bit. I am happy to report I’ve been keeping on. Though it’s been a rough go at it. I am still hoping to keep at the sobriety and look forward to being a part of these forums. Thank you for checking in with me.

4 Likes

I’m really proud of you! Keep checking in with us and remember to reach out if you have any thoughts of picking up. It’s really tough in the beginning. It’s all about changing routine and keeping busy. You can do this. Stay strong. :muscle: :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Here is Claudia’s (@SoberWalker) famous list for getting started in sobriety. 2 years sober and what helped me to get there:

Welcome to you. Blessings on your house :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome lexi

1 Like