My Drinking Life

I am here today to change my life and make better choices. I drink with my daughter and drive. I take my daughter everywhere with me when I drink. I am now taking my daughter to parties with me, they are not huge parties but they are still piss ups and I’m starting to feel not okay with that when I’m sober. Nothing has happened to my daughter yet but I don’t want to put her in to unsafe situations while I am under the influence.

I am here to make a change.
Any help and feedback will be appreciated, any tips I can follow on their sober journey and hearing others experiences.

10 Likes

I support you in this decision. I don’t think you will ever regret making your daughter’s safety a priority. :heart::people_hugging:

6 Likes

Welcome Annie! Glad to have u here with us. Take a look around the forum. There is alot of experience, strength, and hope here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome!!! You made the best decision :clap:

Keep posting and reading other’s stories. I’m having a tough day and just being present on here has helped immensely! Literally a huge difference. Keep busy, and have a plan.

I like writing what I’m grateful for on here and checking in daily. Helps me feel accountable
:heart::+1::heart:

2 Likes

I too drank and drove around with my boys when I was being an active alcoholic. Gladly I don’t ever have to do that again and neither do you.

We are simply selfish people when we drink. Plain & simple. There’s no rational thinking when we’re getting lit. It’s known as deliberate drinking. Stopping drinking is difficult but totally doable.

Annie, I recommend you find a program of recovery. There are many different ones out there, but the one common thing to them all is not doing this shit alone! This place is one of them that has helped many.

So glad you’re here!

8 Likes

Welcome Annie :wave: I’m so happy that you’ve decided to make a change. It’s the best thing you can do for yourself and daughter.

I gotta tell you, admitting something like this takes guts. Openness and honesty will get you far. I got my 2nd DWI while my daughter was in the car (she was 3). I was unable to say that outloud for a very long time. Going thru all that, the ankle monitor, breathalyzer, and probation, I still didn’t want to quit drinking. As soon as I could, I was right back at it. Anywhere I went, there was alcohol in my car, along with my daughter. I didn’t feel bad about it. All that mattered was getting to my next drink. This went on for 5 more years. Idk how I managed to not get a 3rd DWI. If I hadn’t quit when I did, I would’ve :100:

I understand how it is when you’re in it. Everything is distorted. Looking at myself back then terrifies me now. If I did that everyday, how many other people are doing that too? How could I be so reckless with the only thing that matters? I didn’t want my daughter to understand what I was doing. She’ll find out about my arrest one day. Bad enough she had to watch me blow into my car everyday for a year. One day, a month or so after I quit, she said “Mommy, we haven’t gone to the drink store in a long time.” They’d always give her a sucker and I began to hate the thought of her associating the liquor store with a reward. These are the memories that keep me sober. I keep them fresh in my mind and it’s the only deterrent I need. One drink could mean the end of my life, or much worse.

I’m so glad you’ve found us. This is where I started my journey. This is where I learned about recovery. We’re always here with you, so please reach out for anything you need :heart:

10 Likes

I respect your brutal honesty. What worked for me was prayer and following Jesus. I went from being a drunk and a womanizer to reading the entire bible and doing what I feel is right every day. Some people have success with AA. I was a heavy drinker for 20 years, it was going to kill me, and this is the only thing that worked. I am unrecognizable from my previous life in a good way.

5 Likes

I second what @Just_Laura stated about your incredible strength to openly admit to your behaviour. That can be the last time if you want it to be.
Your story resonates with me as I’ve also driven while intoxicated with my family in the car. No DUIs, but heavy shame. This is the first time I’ve admitted to that and as nervous as I felt writing it, I feel a weight lifted from my shoulders.

Thanks for sharing. Keep reading around here and checking in. You’ve got this!

3 Likes