My first relapse after reaching 8 days clean

so unfortunatly after reaching 8 days clean today just got to hard for me first relapse today, Im not proud of my self and tbh i was that dissapointed with the stuff i brought it has actually made me not want to use it even more so im back to day one again and im going to take it day by day and attend my online meeting everyday and just need to not let the relapse get the better of me again and just need to try to keep telling myself i am in control and i am the one in charge

14 Likes

Im proud of you for trying again.

Personally i had to admit i was powerless over my addiction and was desperate enough to go to aa and keep listening to people who had the sobriety i wanted so bad.

Try something new. Because it seems what youve been trying hasnt done the trick yet.

Dont quit quiting

8 Likes

Im glad you are back and are determined to try again. Remember its one day at a time. Try to add more to your sober toolbox.

4 Likes

whats the sober toolbox

1 Like

Just sayingā€¦the things u use to stay soberā€¦like readā€¦or eatā€¦etc

1 Like

Relapse happens. When your demons show you who you really are, picking up will lose its luster.

You will get a lot of advice, but the most important bit Iā€™ve found helpful is to ā€˜"do it for you, not someone else.ā€™" You gotta really want to make your life better.

5 Likes

@vicki996 I learned about the toolbox when I went to rehab. Itā€™s basically anything you have learned that will stop you from picking up a drink. Thereā€™s a very popular saying ā€œplay the tape all the way through.ā€ To me it means I need to think about what the next potential drink is going to mean after I finish it, what I might do after I have several more and the black out hangover thatā€™s coming.

5 Likes

Progression not perfection. Learn and improve :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Keep trying donā€™t give up, you fell down yesterday, your back up today stronger :muscle:I kept getting to day 3 and 4 and relapsing, Iā€™ve got to 19 days, just think each day at a time, if I can do it believe you can too, stay on here it helps immensely stay strong strength and love sent :muscle:

2 Likes

my DOC is heroin and crack cocain not alcahol

1 Like

thank you that was really supportive

1 Like

I took a chemical dependency class when I got out of rehab and I learned about H.A.L.T

"When you think about relapsing, HALT and ask yourself

H: am I hungry
A: am I angry
L: am I lonely
T: am I tired"

I suppose these are the 4 main reasons why someone would feel the urge to relapse. As an addict, when we face these emotions, we often donā€™t recognize them for what they actually are, we re-wired our brains to assume itā€™s because we need our drugs or alcohol, when it reality, we could just be lonely or tired or hungry

9 Likes

Interesting, very good

Keep trying! You will get there! Glad you are here.

Lots of tools to help us. My problem this last relapse of 3 yrsā€¦after 6 yrs sober was lack of staying diligent. Thinking i had beat the addiction i suppose. Didnt take long to be right back in it. But im backā€¦this time using tsā€¦im hoping it will make the difference. At 32 days

3 Likes

I just remembered that covid was just becoming a thing tooā€¦about the time my relapse happenedā€¦but that cant be used as the reason why i relapsed.

1 Like

Vicki! Glad you got right back on the wagon! Youā€™ve got a good plan in place. I believe in you!

Hey my docā€™s were same as yours, some considerations you could reflect on, if you want to.

~ what have i learned from this ?
~ how was I feeling before, during and after using?
~ what does recovery look like to me?
~ are there some behaviours or thought patterns that no longer serve me ?
~what can I do to avoid this happening again?
~ what plans and routines have I in place?
~ what brings me joy atm?

Build that recovery capital šŸ«¶šŸ¼ I believe in you !

2 Likes

Great suggestions!!!

Do not refer to this as your ā€œfirst relapseā€. Youā€™re giving permission for a second or more. Make this your ONLY relapse.

:sparkling_heart:

YOU CAN DO IT!!

4 Likes