My First Try

Hi all, very nervous newbie here. I’ve never joined anything like this before… it’s taken me a long time to admit I have a problem with alcohol, with this past year being the worst. I don’t really know what to say in this post lol do I share my story? Just reaching out because I really hit rock bottom last night and determined to get help this time and to stop drinking for good. I hope I get some replies :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Good morning @GreenGirl and welcome to an awesome sober community. Checking in here daily and regular AA meetings are the reason i just celebrated one year sober after 20 years of problem drinking.

Take a look around. There are threads for almost everything! This place is a good distraction especially in those tough early days. Hold on tight. The cravings are bad at the beginning.

Maybe write down all the reasons you want to quit so you can look back at that list when cravings hit.

Hope to see you around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to TS=Talking Sober, Green! It took me and many others here a long time to admit and then finally accept our addictions. Lots of support and resources here.

3 Likes

Warm welcome from me Sam :people_hugging: , i was at rock bottom when i came here too, i was in utter desperation for help and i got it here…it can be done…im 9 months so far…this is a safe place we all understand what its like, read around, tell us your story if and when you feel ready, its good to get it all out and be honest, im here for you as im sure many others here will be, love and hugs :people_hugging: :heart:

2 Likes

Hi Sam, welcome :slightly_smiling_face:. Share as much or as little as you like. The app has a journal feature for journaling or some people choose to start a thread about their journey. It’s a good idea to do one or the other so you can go back and read it later on.

Welcome to Talking Sober! 2023 update!

4 Likes

Thanks for your replies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m so far in the doldrums today worrying about my relationship and the future with that, that I feel vulnerable and not in the best place mentally to fight my demons. It’s hard to take things one hour or one day at a time when I feel like I’m fighting to not lose everything :pensive:

2 Likes

Put your sobriety first, above everything else, and you’ll stand the best chance at retaining the things you value the most. :wink:

4 Likes

Welcomeee :hugs:

Great courage on reaching out and check in here every time you feel you are struggling and speak :heart_hands:

I’m day 25 and the past 3 weeks have been amazing sober, the first few days and week is hard but we help is here.

Nobody moves forward standing still keep up the effort and be strong :raised_hands:

D :heart:

2 Likes

I’m a newbie too. Best advice I got here was put your sobriety first. You feel you can’t but when you do things get clearer. I always put taking care of others first but now doing self care and others not on the way side I just balance it differently now. Changing up my routine has helped a lot as well. Struggling still but going forward…feeling the slips but don’t want to go backwards. But learning not to beat up on myself too much anymore. Hang in there and hugs.

3 Likes

Thank you Kat :green_heart: I feel fully lodged in self-pity right now like I don’t have a friend in the whole world. Praying and keeping the faith that things can get better.

Welcome to Talking Sober!
I’m grateful that you joined us and now you’re on your way to heal yourself. I will be very happy to hear your story. :sparkles::sunflower::heart:

Felt like that too at times still do. It’s hard when you do not have support but I’ve learned be your supporter and things get better. It’s a new way to do things so just keep doing. I stay busy at work and stay busy at home. Then I take breathers and slow down a little. I found a new walking trail. I can’t always get there but trying my best. It helps me to keep going. Keep your chin up when you walk and know that things eventually get better.

1 Like

Good job reaching out. You can share whatever you want, your story, how you’re feeling, whatever you need or want to. Everyone here is really supportive, I’m sure you’ll get replies anytime you need to talk.

1 Like

Thank you for all your replies everyone. I’ve been so frightened to reach out for help for so long. Im delusional and don’t want “the party” to end. The party!!! The party that ends in disaster nearly every night? And yet the next time I’m dashing to the supermarket for more beer and starting on it earlier and earlier in the day. I haven’t been learning my lesson but I can going forward. I have to believe that this time. I will keep posting. Im all over the TNM app and had some wonderful replies there too. Hopefully in a wee while I can feel confident and able enough to support others on here too. Im not alone. I literally keep telling myself that every couple of minutes. Thank you to all :green_heart:

3 Likes

What is TNB? I’m so glad you joined this community. I promise you I’ve heard hundreds of shares at meetings and zooms that are exactly like yours. The ones that have committed to long term recovery are doing quite well! It’s amazing what happens to those who embrace their sobriety and go all in.