My hardest day of the week

Today is Tuesday, the day I have been so anxiously trying to not think about. I know for most people, the weekends are the hardest. In my house, Monday night/Tuesday is my “weekend”. It’s my husband’s only day off. I’m a sahm, so my schedule revolves around his.

This is the day that my nightly several glasses of wine turns into multiple bottles. The day I can “relax” at home and start drinking in the afternoon instead of waiting until nighttime.

But NOT today. Not this time.
I am 6 days sober and I really, really want to hit 1 week.
I guess I just need some motivation to make it through this day, because as the clock ticks the urge to drink gets stronger. I know this is going to be my hardest day so far and tomorrow will be better, especially waking up without a hangover.

21 Likes

Take it 5 minutes at a time and focus on things that are meaningful for you. We run to addiction out of habit (like a river flows on a riverbed worn into the rock). We can change those habits a little at a time.

You have choices today and you can do meaningful things with your time. Check in here on your thread & get support. Listen to an audiobook. Do sketching (all you need is a pencil really; there’s lots of good how to videos on YouTube). Listen to loud angry music while walking (for some people this really helps!). Do yoga, stretching, etc.

Feel free to binge watch something. Let yourself eat whatever you want today.

You have permission to do anything that’s safe and legal, to stay sober.

5 Likes

You can do this! Every time the voice in your head says “I deserve a drink.” say “NO! I deserve a better healthy life sober.” You DO deserve better :purple_heart: Try to stay busy and don’t pick up that first drink.

2 Likes

Remind yourself of your goals, even say it out loud if you need to! Say no as many times as you need to that little voice in your head that doubts your abilities. Be kind and compassionate to yourself, be your own cheerleader! I know it’s goofy but for me the goofy stuff works lol :purple_heart:

2 Likes

U can do this!!! It’s very possible to get thru the hard days sober. I recently challenged myself on one of those “hard days”. Its was my hubbys payday. We get money and we usually use to “relax”. Let’s be real here tho… we don’t relax. It’s actually very stressful and then it becomes even worse when the next morning I have to reset my timer and deal with the shame an guilt and lack of money. Play the tape out… right to the end. Don’t stop at the “good” times. Really remember what it’s like and why you made the decision to quit. U have a choice today :slight_smile: maybe plan a good movie to watch with ur hubby and enjoy some good food! Order in or bake or make a meal. Do something fun besides sitting there and just not drinking. My hubby did ask me if I wanted to use but I reviewed my reason to quit, prayed, and said no. And we ordered food and watch a good show. Grabbed some desert later. I did some self care and the we went to bed. You CAN do this!!! And post on here as much as u want! Lots of people are around to help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you everyone!
So far today-
I slept in a little bit
took my dog outside a little longer than usual and got some (freezing cold) fresh air
Cleaned the bathroom
Got a shower
Ate a delicious breakfast my husband made for us (hooray for not cooking! Lol)

And now I am going to take my time to do my hair and makeup, which is not something I do everyday. And then I’ll get dressed. I bought a new outfit I’m pretty excited about.
I don’t know what we’re doing for the rest of the day yet so we’ll see where the day goes! At the moment I’m feeling pretty good, but I know the evening will be the real challenge. I’ll keep checking in here to remind myself how close I am to 1 week!

6 Likes

Sounds like a great start to ur day! Proud of you :slight_smile: please come on here to post if ur feeling any urges to drink. Try to intervene before the urge gets too big :heartpulse:

2 Likes

Congratulations on your 6 days Katie.

This motivated me :point_up:
Keep checking in. This place works if you work it. And there’s always someone around.
:pray:t2::heart:

7 Likes

I am not much of a tea drinker, but yesterday while grocery shopping I got lots of new drinks to try to give me something to be excited about drinking.
This is my first cup of tea lol how appropriate

10 Likes

How was the tea?

1 Like

That sounds like a lovely day!

2 Likes

It was very good!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it. You deserve a good cup of tea. It’s soothing isn’t it?

How’s the day going now? It’s evening now right?

1 Like

So far so good!
I made us some drinks we’ve never tried before, ginger beer (non-alcoholic) mixed with apple juice and I’m drinking it from a pretty new glass I got. I’m really enjoying it and focusing on finishing the book I’m reading while we wait for a pizza delivery.

My husband asked me if I wanted some champagne and I said no thank you. And then he asked me if I wanted to take a shot, and I said no to that too.

He doesnt have a problem with alcohol like I do and I haven’t told him yet that I have quit drinking. I haven’t told anyone outside of TS. I know I should but that is SO intimidating to me. I know he would be super supportive, but telling someone I quit makes it REAL. Right now I’m the only one who knows, so if I mess up I’ll be the only one who would know.

4 Likes

You’re not going to mess it up. :innocent: Take it one day at a time and focus on building strength (sober strength: your “sober toolkit” of emotional and mental skills to walk through your life).

Enjoy the pizza! I love a good pizza night.

1 Like

You can tell him when you get to one week, that’ll be a nice marker for your milestone!

4 Likes

Good idea! That will be tomorrow :grimacing: maybe getting through today will give me the boost I need to be ready to talk about it out loud.

3 Likes

Thank you for checking in on me today. It’s really reassuring to know that someone cares and understands how hard it is.

Pizza was awesome btw and there are leftovers for lunch tomorrow! :grin:

1 Like

Make it REAL, please! My husband is the only one that truly understands my disease and hes a normal drinker. His support at the end of a long, trying day has kept me sober. Just having someone to listen!!

3 Likes

Tell him, it helps. If he understands the situation your in he won’t offer you a drink anymore and can support you.

1 Like