My last "another day"

Hi. I usually just read, never reply or post, but your words are eerily similar to all the reasons I gave up. Im on day 315 and going strong. Im done for good, dont need it and I have proven to myself 100% that every aspect of life is better without it. EVERYTHING. The nicest part for me has been an unexpected boost in my self esteem that I knew was there, but the alcohol was killing it with every sip. I know now that I am a better role model to my 14 yr old boy and 12 yr old daughter. Much better. Everything in your post that you describe as shit, will be gone for good when you stop. Good luck, you sound like you are more than ready to be happy.

6 Likes

Wow this sounds so incredibly familiar. Way to go for making the decision to quit now and for reaching out. Reread that post as much as you need to. Remember this feeling. You can do this!!

1 Like

I am only working on completing day 4 but my story is similar to yours in some ways I believe. In the last 10 years the longest I have ever made it is 7 days and that was at least 5 years ago. Since downloading this app I have hit ‘reset’ a total of 4? times in the last few weeks. I finally admitted out loud to my husband that I have a problem and I was trying to change. I never wanted to before because I didn’t want him to judge me when/if I failed. He never even realized but often brought me home boxes of wine, knowing I would be thankful. After hitting reset so many times so quickly I realized that I needed to tell someone so that I could be held accountable. So I told him. I told him how I fear for my health. How I hate myself every time I wake up. How I drink at least a bottle of wine a night and am fearful when I have nothing in the house. He was surprised (or said he was). I believe he will support me in any circumstance but having someone know my secret has helped me make it to almost 4 days which is an eternity. Thanks for sharing. I will think of you and your words when I need to know there is someone like me out there. :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Fantastic post! I needed this today as mirroring my exact feelings. Thank you <3

2 Likes

Your “last another day” scares me as a comment because its a prediction of the future… A claim of perfection, when it should be progress. Take it one day at a time, so you can strengthen gradually. Easy does it. Do it easy. Play with skills and good luck will happen.

Sis, you are definitely not alone! I’ve tried to stop so many times and also used to drink at least a bottle a night or a 6 pack. Coming clean to your husband took a lot of courage. I was scared to let my fiance know how much I was drinking and suffering. But he has been really supportive and it sounds like yours is too.
If you are looking for additional support, check out Women For Sobriety. It’s an online community of women from all walks of life. There are some face to face meetings in some areas. It’s a non 12 step program based on learning to overcome addiction by changing your life and becoming a better person. The program has changed my life and my approach to sobriety. The website is womenforsobriety.org

3 Likes

Gosh this feels like I could have written it myself ! This is so true and everyone I feel a little weak I’m going to read what you wrote , it’s awesome , your awesone :facepunch::kiss:

1 Like

Thanks! I will definitely check it out. I am so glad I have a place to talk with others in this app, I am not really a 12 step person so the group sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to working hard to be… anything. Everything. Just better.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a great attitude! Feel free to PM me if you want or need to. My screen name is the same in the Women For Sobriety community if you find yourself there :+1:.

1 Like

You just described my life. I am so afraid of not being able to do this right this time. But i so fucking wanna be a normal person. My first day and i am already going crazy.

1 Like

Read all the threads here where people are celebrating 30, 60, 90 days, 6 months, a year, several years, of successful sobriety. They were once on day one too, just like you.

What makes them different from you? Nothing except more sober time. They did it. You can too.

Get better at getting better, each and every day.

And reach out here often. I love everyone here, as they are all beautiful souls, happy to share and help you along.

4 Likes

Thanks Stevie! That really means a lot. Hope i’ll have some pretty exciting news to tell you about my sobriety during this year. Thanks a lot

1 Like

I agree with @Yoda-Stevie (shocking huh?) If some of the people on here, myself included, can get clean so can you. I was homeless, helpless, and hapless 8 months ago. I pretty much had a needle implanted in my arm. I was stealing candy bars just so I could eat. I could not function in or out of society.

Now, I am moving into my own apartment with a friend from AA. I haven’t touched a substance in 7.5 months. I’m the healthiest I’ve been in 12 years and I’m very close to landing what can only be described as my dream job.

We have a saying in AA that your life will get better beyond your wildest dreams. I used to think that was a crock of shit because I have actually been successful in the past. I am here today to tell you it’s true. Sure, I may not have some of the material things I once did, but stuff isn’t what makes me happy. I wake up each day in a great mood. I couldn’t be happier, and I have never been happier, than I am now.

There’s nothing stopping you from having what I have today.

4 Likes