My Life Story l

Starting playing around with alcohol, cigarettes from about 14 years, once starting work at 16 years earning $$ took up smoking fulltime and drinking every Friday to Sunday which carried on for many years. At 21 years I joined the NZ Army 1980 (12 years) heaps of drinking here, cheap as chips plus you HAD to attend many drinking occasions or else.
Got married during this time (still together 43 years :sparkling_heart: two lovely children now 33 & 35 plus two beautiful grandchildren both 3 years old) drinking was like eating food had become a normal habit, once leaving the army in 1993, l had very good middle management positions, still drinking just as normal. 2009 we decided to caravan travel/work around Australia for 10 years very hot over there certainly good drinking weather up to now beer was my poison with the odd spirit thrown in.
2018 moved back to New Zealand good employment opportunities again, started putting some weight on decided spirits would be beter for me so a couple of beers a night followed by 6-8 JD’s.
To date before going sobber my JD’s had become half a bottle every night so with some health issues my body and mind said if you’re going to see your ANZAC (one in NZ other in Australia) grandchildren grow up, enough is enough so almost 30 days ago I stopped, the same as stopping smoking 32 years ago I knew it was time.
Was normally a happy drunk, enjoyed the social life always had very good employment no one would have guessed the amount of alcohol I was having each night.
So at 65 years I’ve had a wild ride at times over the year’s, but now I’m feel so must better, happier mentally, physically and financially.
My story cheers Wayne.

8 Likes

Hi Wayne welcome!
Thank you for sharing, we’re never to old for a good change in life have we!
Hopefully many healthy sober years in front of us. Congratulations for the 30 days :confetti_ball:
See you around! :raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

Glad you joined us Wayne. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the club. You’ll find a very wind range of folks here from all around the world who together work on being ever better versions of ourselves. Living better lives. Mentally, physically and financially indeed. Welcome again and hope you’ll find the togetherness and mutual support that has been so important in my own sober journey.

3 Likes

Hi :wave:

Congratulations on your 30 days :fireworks:

Thanks for sharing your story @WDH

Congrats on nearly 30 days not drinking. Hopefully you can leave alcohol behind as youve left smoking!

1 Like