My new journey in Recovery Dharma

Love this!! Again, the expanding.

2 Likes

You Can teach an old dog new tricks!

1 Like

Very true!! Thank goodness for that!!!

1 Like

From Recovey Dharma:

“Generosity allows space to respond to those around us, to include their well-being in our choices.”

3 Likes

From Recovery Dharma

“This means that how we think about another person isn’t based on their behavior, or even on the other person at all. How we think about a person is up to us—and if it’s shaped by the practice of metta, then we can care about every person’s well-being, even the most difficult and unpleasant people we know.”

I can do this at work. Even with the most aggravating employee, I will make sure they get their time off. I have worked my days off, worked doubles, ect…to ensure they can get the time off they need.

Outside of work is another story. How I think about a person is, regrettably so, is based on their behavior. While I will not go out of my way to do them harm, I wont give them any part of me…If I disagree or disapprove of then.

4 Likes

From Recovery Dharma

“Most of us have been conditioned to be our own harshest critic from early on, especially during our fixations on substances and behaviors. We carry the shadow of that judge with us, even as we seek recovery, giving ourselves negative feedback and scrutinizing every effort we make, holding ourselves to impossible standards of perfection”

This was me, it was one of the things I had to overcome in the beginning. The thought I had as an active alcoholic, “if I could do things perfectly, life would be ok and I won’t have to stress and worry”

It was a horrible cycle, the harder I tried, the further away perfection got.

Upon reading this, it’s still a shadow. While I can survive “missing the mark”. I am still concerned about it. More work to be done here.

8 Likes

From Recovery Dharma

We can practice the message:

I am here.
This is the way it is right now.
This is a moment of suffering.
May I give myself the care I need at this moment. May I accept this without struggling, but also without giving up.

10 Likes

From Recovery Dharma

“There is no magic bullet, no single action or practice that will end suffering. This is a path composed of a set of practices that help us deal with suffering and respond wisely to our own lives. We cannot escape or avoid dukkha, but we can begin to be more at peace knowing there is a path forward: a path with less suffering, less craving, less aversion, less destruction, and less shame. It’s a path without an end. It requires effort and awareness. And we don’t have to do it alone.”

Brutal honesty about life and this program.

7 Likes

From Recovery Dharma

“We believe recovery is a lifelong, holistic process of peeling back layers of habits and conditioned behaviors to find our own, sometimes hidden, potential for awakening.”

4 Likes

@fortomorrow

Nothing great here, just my thread of the impactful things I am getting from Recovery Dharma

1 Like

Already reading it, and already bookmarked their online meeting website, thank you!

2 Likes

I hope you find it as inspiring as I do

1 Like

Feel free to post here things that speak to you!

1 Like

I am enjoying and appreciating this thread today.

2 Likes

Yas!!! This!!! Looking forward to this thread! Just started Dharma sits again and the combination along w my recovery prog is phenomenal. Thank you for creating this!!!

3 Likes

Add anything Dharma related if you want

2 Likes

From Recover Dharma:

Ours is a program that asks us to never stop growing. It asks us to own our choices and be responsible for our own healing. It’s based on kindness, generosity, forgiveness, and deep compassion

1. never stop growing. This speaks to me. Getting Sober was a start, focusing on growth enables us to enhance our sobriety

2. asks us to own. An accountability that I didnt have drunk…I drank because the world sucked

3. kindness, generosity, forgiveness, compassion. Treating others, with these 4 words is something that is severely missing in the world. I cant change the world, but I can make a difference around me

8 Likes

From Recovery Dharma

“We do not rely on tools of shame and fear as motivation. We know these haven’t worked in our own individual pasts, and have often created more struggle and suffering through relapse and discouragement. The courage it takes to recover from addiction is ultimately courage of the heart, and we aim to support each other as we commit to this brave work.”

Treating people with humanity

8 Likes

From Recovery Dharma

“This is a program that asks us to recognize and accept that some pain and disappointment will always be present, to investigate the unskillful ways we have dealt with that pain in the past, and to develop a habit of understanding, compassion, and mercy toward our own pain, the pain of others, and the pain we have caused others due to our ignorance and confusion. That acceptance is what brings freedom from the suffering that made our pain unbearable.”

So much good stuff here. I think this stuck out for me the first time I read through the book.

6 Likes

I couldn’t love this more. Compassion for others and our selves can help heal our dis ease.

4 Likes