My partner won't quit... I'm on day 54

Does anyone else have a partner who won’t quit asking with you? Is so hard to keep myself from buying alcohol, and he guides it from me. Lies everyday, I smell it on his breath. I don’t know how much longer I can do this. The hollow stare, the wobbling and falling into things. The anger, the mumbling under his breath…

5 Likes

Welcome Heidi! My husband (who’s also an alcoholic) drank every single day during the first 2 years of my sobriety. It was very difficult for me and I built up a bad resentment. What helped me was attending in person AA meetings and coming here daily. I would have either thrown him out or threw my sobriety away, if it weren’t for my support network. Having people to lean on was my saving grace.

Here’s a link to a thread where others in your situation have been posting:
Are you affected by a loved one who is an addict?

6 Likes

Thank you! Your words mean so much. Did your relationship last through it?

1 Like

We didn’t have much of a relationship for 2 years even though we lived under the same roof. I couldn’t stand to be around the slurring and smell so we never spoke in the evenings after work. He finally got sober a year ago and our relationship is better than ever. If he didn’t get sober, I honestly don’t know if we would still be together.

7 Likes

I am just short of 1 y 7mo, sober from alcohol, been married to my wife for 24 years and together for almost 30. She has not quit, she can stop at 1 drink I cannot. Sometimes I wish she would chill and have that sensitivity, but it’s not her journey. I give her a hard time when she slurs a word. But yeah quitting drinking was so my kids didn’t see me swilled anymore and stumbling. Probably harder is we have a friend that her boyfriend quit drinking and doesn’t come around. So when I didn’t want to be in certain situations with booze and gatherings she gives me a hard time saying I am anti social like our friends boyfriend. No!! Fucking almost everything people do revolves around getting tanked! And it gets old and it’s hard, but I do it for myself, and to be around for my kids

2 Likes