My state just went on lock down

I had been stumbling on my journey to staying alcohol free when california was hit with the effects of Coronavirus. Strangely it has unwittingly Gave me the launch I’d been putting off. I don’t drink at home so all the bars a Resturant’s closing left me high and dry (mostly just dry).
Day 7 and I’ve been pretty foggy and I haven’t been able to sleep for beans.

I hope everyone is doing okay through all this craziness and it doesn’t mess with anyone sobriety.

12 Likes

Welcome to this great forum. Although this while Corona-Virus crisis is really terrible it might help you to stay sober. It’s a good thing for you that everything is closed now so you can continue with staying sober. 7 days is great. Keep it up! And stay safe and healthy

4 Likes

Thank you. It has been a weird blessing in disguise for me. The alone time has forced me to refind the parts of me that alcohol tends to diminish.

It’s nice to be in a place that people understand the feeling.

3 Likes

Yes this place is the best place to stay sober for me. It has helped me in so many difficult times. Especially in the next days or weeks when you feel lonely or bored or want to drink come here and talk to the wonderful people. It really helps and takes the urge to drink!

1 Like

Thank you. I’m sure I will. We are probably in the same state. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Welcome :blush: “Ol Dog”!! ( There’s got to be a nicer name to call you) Like Huckleberry Hound or something! Lol. Anywho. Your among the Greatest , Craziest(Me) Circle of People Living your Life.Who are Here for Each Other. You’ll enjoy throwing your hat in the ring.(Per Say). So Again. Make yourself to Home. We’re All here :grin::blush: For YOU!! I’m Jeannine

2 Likes

Welcome, friend!

I know what you mean by the blessing in disguise. I’m 2 years and 9 months sober and all this chaos has brought forth some cravings I wasn’t totally prepared for. Fortunately, they are taking form as wanting to sit at the bar with all the people I used to drink with. Not an option here in PA as well. To be fair, even if the bars were open I wouldn’t actually do it, I’ve got way too much to throw away, but this is helpful because it shuts the voice down much easier.

After a short time of “taking a break” years ago I decided to ONLY drink out if the house (this is called bargaining) . That was so helpful for when I decided to finally get sober. Not only for when I was locked inside by the extreme anxiety and detox symptoms, but for all the cravings I’ve has in my journey. Having to do more than come home and drink to relapse was my biggest blessing!

Stick around. All my family is in Alameda county and been under the “shelter in place” order for over a week. My folks seem fine with it, my brother and sister, who live together (I shudder to think how that is turning out) I haven’t been in touch with. But I have way less worry about them all because of the precautions in place.

2 Likes

I tried living with my sister years ago, worst time of my life!
Even living with my adult son, who finally moved out last year, was getting old.
It’s good to see you’re feeling better, I appreciate your input here.

2 Likes

I can’t let myself feel worse, so better is the only option. I’m trying to find ways to take this outside myself and help others. I’ve logged more time on here than I have since my first few months here.

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome. I’m sure I’ll be here often during this crisis we’re in and because of the stages I’m continuing to move through. My sleeping is still garbage. 3 hours last night. Nice to meet you.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome. It’s been quite a wild ride with all these changes in the world. It will be good to have a place to check in and see other people that know what it feels like to have your body chemistry so linked to alcohol intake. In fact just writing here seems to get my head in the right space since I know everyone here knows how it feels.

2 Likes

Welcome!! Plenty of reading here to keep you busy at home. We are all getting a chance to slow down and be present.

Take some time to look around and read read read…it’s a great community, has helped me immensely. :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you. Fortunately I also have tons of things to work on at home but knowing that I can stop by here and surround myself with people that know what it feels like to give up something that my body is so deeply accustomed to, is awesome. Just coming here to vent about how foggy my head has been and how terrible I’ve slept the last 7 day’s has already made today start better.

2 Likes

Welcome. I still consider myself a newby at 78 days and I’m so happy I found this place. My daughter and her husband live in 1000oaks. I worry about them from Flagstaff AZ and my two other grown up kids are in TX. I feel cut off from them but know they are safe and have loving spouses. The people on this forum are the best!! I cannot believe I haven’t even had the urge to drink during this shit show we are and have been going through for awhile. Well, my wife drinks enough for the 2 of us :flushed:. And finally that isn’t even bothering me. I was thinking last night with the wifey, if I had a drink now what good would it do. Cuz I’m :100: % sure I would have another drink. Then another drink. And then guess what? Another drink. And I’d feel like shit this am and I’d feel too shamed to come here for all the wonderful support. Love you guys.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Nice! Being holed up with a spouse that still drinks is a real testament to where you stand with alcohol. Fortunately for me I live alone so I don’t have to put my conviction to the test like that yet. Thank you for the welcome. I know Thousand Oaks. Great little town.

2 Likes

Congrats on your week, man. We can only take it day by day.

2 Likes

Thank you.

my whole life has been in lock down, I caught a virus 30 years ago called alcoholism. People think they got it hard now, they should try livin with that fear all their life.

2 Likes

Hi there and welcome! I too am in California. My husband repairs operating equipment in hospitals throughout the state so he is still having to go to all of these hospitals with covid patients. If it was just me I would be ok with this but we have a baby. So Im freaking out low key. Unlike you I used to drink at home. I just wanna grab a few bottles at the liq.

1 Like

That is a battle of a different color for sure. I can only imagine how that must worry you and I know for myself that fear is a trigger for me. I hope to see you continue along your alcohol free journey. How many days sober are you, if you don’t mind me asking?