My Story and Small Progress

My drinking habits started from quitting weed, using would heighten my already pre-existing anxiety. I started having a glass of wine whilst preparing a meal which in this culture would seem socially acceptable way of winding down on a day of hospitality.

Slowly but surely 3 years later this socially acceptable routine started getting completely out of control, I was never in denial about my relationship with alcohol but I defended it to my loved ones ‘I’m not hurting anyone but myself’
I drank so much alcohol that my recycling bin made me feel ashamed, started with a 5pm start would then be 3pm then that would turn to 12pm start. At times I would pass out on the couch, wake up in the mid morning and start again.
I wouldn’t drink for the taste I would drink to completely wipe myself out. I would forget conversations I had with with my partner and never remember going to bed.

I’m only young and this time last week I made a big step and went to the doctor, I was completely honest to someone for the first time in my life.
I was prescribed Acamprosate and I am not looking back.
Hopefully after the treatment plan ends, my will power will be enough to be happy and healthy again without being dependent on a substance that was hurting other people, not just myself.
Nights are still rough but reading other stories, I don’t feel alone anymore.

Sorry this is long, feels good to let go and process this milestone, small but so important for me.
7 days sober today and counting.
Power to everyone on this page!

13 Likes

Welcome,
And thanks for your short story, looking forward to much more from you in the future. I can relate to what you had said about starting to drink earlier in the day, I was once there. I can also relate to feeling as though I hadn’t hurt anyone but myself. But truth be told it affected everybody in my life. I would suggest finding yourself an AA meeting and checking it out. The AA community I have has become family to me after over a year and half of sobriety. Good luck on your journey and don’t ever hesitate to message me if you need to.

3 Likes

Great job on this major life changing decision! My habit was similar to yours… I had started having a glass of wine with co-workers at the end of the day, I was new in my career and it was so fun to sit and unwind after closing the hair salon… then it was at home in the evenings, then, like you, earlier and earlier, all day long on my days off, etc, etc…
Years later, we have a problem. Does everyone else that shares my habits have a problem? Yes. Do they know? Who knows. I can only change myself… I also had the argument that I wasn’t hurting anyone. Well, we all know that’s a bull shit excuse.
Anyways, welcome, and keep it up! I’m over 100 days now, and I’m never looking back. :peace_symbol: :white_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you so much Suzrene, I really appreciate this support from someone who emphasises not just symthaises.
Means a lot! :sunflower:

1 Like

Being honest is such a huge thing, especially when it comes to finding your sponsor and sharing at the meetings. Once I shared my honesty to others I realized I was not the only human that had these issues. For myself, Knowing that others were struggling to stay sober just one day at a time, like myself, made it that much easier.

2 Likes

Welcome. It can be scary to look back and see the slip into alcoholism. One writer uses the metaphor of a pitcher plant, a fly is attracted to the flower, doesn’t realise it is sliding to its death until it is too late. But u have put the brakes on, u can still fly out.

1 Like

I really enjoy this quote Misokatsu, thank you for the welcome.
I would say I felt like a bouquet of once vibrant flowers that no one had changed the water in years. Saying that it was my responsibility to look after myself not anyone else.