My story - Learning to see through a friend's deceit

I am 735 days sober from alcohol. I went on a fateful vacation in March 2022 that ended an almost 36-year friendship with a woman that I used to call my “best friend.” But my drinking had gone into overdrive long before then.

In January 2022, I reconnected with an old friend (male) from childhood. We hadn’t seen each other since freshman year of college. My then best girlfriend and I who had kinda lost touch with each other reconnected as well and started right where we left off. We would video on Facebook messenger often and private message back and forth. Enter the childhood friend I thought I had lost for good my freshman year of college. He and I had known each other since age 6. He came looking for me through her (best friend, also his ex-girlfriend from high school). Long story short, I learned things from her about their break-up that later on I would figure out were most likely lies. She couldn’t keep things straight. She and I planned a week long vacation together in March 2022. We were able to see my childhood friend on this trip, none of us had seen each other in years. For me, it was great to see him. For her, the endgame was to destroy his marriage and win him over for herself, go back to the way they were in high school. (Forgot to mention, she is also married) Anyway, I had feelings for him I thought had died years ago. They came back with a vengeance, and, he had feelings for me as well. He and I didn’t act on them, but the feelings were eating me alive. I got completely hammered on beer the third night into our trip, falling down drunk. Ex- best friend took video of me, which male childhood friend showed me the next morning. I was embarrassed and mortified. He told me he was not going to stand by and watch me kill myself (I was in a relationship that was toxic and couldn’t see a way out). He told me he would support me to get help or whatever I needed. That night was the last time I drank. I’ve pretty much ended the relationship with her. I still talk to him when I can. I got out of the toxic relationship in summer 2022, got my own place and space, reconnected with a guy from high school later that summer. It’s been amazing. My new boyfriend is very supportive of my sobriety. And I did it all by myself. Ive had moments where I’ve wanted a beer, but I don’t want to go back to Day 1.

12 Likes

Welcome and congrats on your sobriety :tada: that’s an impressive chunk of time. And doing it all on your own :clap:

In my first early sobriety, I found myself reliving so many horrible events from the past in my head every day. It’s all I thought about and was miserable. One day I’d had enough and turned to AA and asked for advice. There, I found others who knew exactly what I was going thru and taught me how to move forward. Basically they said that the past is in the past and you must accept that there’s nothing you can do to change it now. Acceptance has helped me, I’d say the most, of anything I’ve learned in recovery. It taught me how to live in the present and stop worrying about the past and future. All the best :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. Very impressive to have stacked up so much sober time on your own.

Love that you are staying the course cause its easier to move forward than having to repeat day 1. Grateful to have you here with us - take time to read around the threads and jump in when you feel comfortable.

2 Likes

And if you do you can always watch that video of yourself if you still have it.
That’s a strong reminder of the old days and a great way to get rid of thoughts of drinking.

Welcome here!
And well done for the 735 days! :facepunch:
:confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

4 Likes

Then there was you.
Video evidence is very powerful

Not that it was shared, DONE DEAL!!

BUT
Now you have person video of yourself to remind YOURSELF that you don’t want that again.
Keep strong, stay plugged in
Hope to hear from you some more later