My Story. Thank you

Talking Sober - Addiction Recovery Forum & Support Group
100+

Talking Sober is a safe place for people in recovery and to keep it safe we have a few rules and guidelines that everyone needs to follow when posting.

Thank you to Everyone

Gdoza007
5h
Hello to everyone in this community. I have been reading all of your posts the last two months or so and relating to so many different experiences of my own. I am at 40 days sober and crushed my last record of 25 and I credit it to downloading this app and reading the threads in this forum. I want to say thank you to everyone of you that has the courage to post such personal information in hopes of helping others. I am doing the same now. At 40 days I am still a rookie, but a few things I want to share i’ve learned over time with trial and error and will post below…i am 37 and first got drunk 1mo before my 17th bday. I loved it ever since. I am a binge drinker. Going 10,12, 20 days without drinking is common for me, as is drinking/eating nothing but liquor for 2 ,3, 4 days straight is a 50/50 chance when I decide to “unwind” i grew up with a hardnosed father and my mother died my first day of college after being in a coma for 6wks in the hospital, admitted from liver and kidney failure from 10yrs of everyday stagger induced hard alcohol drinking. As I fallen on my face trying to quit and somehow managing to keep my wife n family after they have seen me sooooo many times out of my mind I want to share a few things that have helped me reach my current stretch…#1 DOWN LOAD THIS APP AND READ THE CONTENT! #2 never quit quitting…meaning if u have a real desire to cut back or stop completely, then when you backslide, get back up and try again. don’t be discouraged. U will get stronger and stronger. You don’t bust out 200 push-ups day one at the gym. Mental exercise is the same as physical exercise. It takes time to build up your strength in both forms. #2 remember there are alot of other things that bring u joy other than alcohol. For me, a father of two whose world revolves around those kids, I am honest in that the rush alcohol gives me is what pleases me most. #3…I never look at quitting like “I will never drink again” for me, the thought was too overwhelming. I simplified way down to “I’m just taking a break” and seeing how long I can make that break. Again, from the bottom of my heart I thank everyone here for sharing and caring for your fellow man and woman Best of wishes to all of u. Contact me at will if necessary. Thank you!!!

12 Likes

What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing:)

1 Like

“Mental exercise is the same as physical exercise.” That’s a great way to put it. And ain’t that the truth in learning to be sober? There are often times when I think I’ll join my husband with a little vodka, or think about having some wine when cooking. A little would turn into a lot, so that’s just a no go. I’ve noticed as of late (when I’m justifying in my mind) I tell myself, no… I don’t drink. It’s been super helpful to repeat that as a regular thought. Hope that helps anyone who happens to read it! :grin:

3 Likes

I totally agree with your methodology- I had to build up lots of times between drinking to convince myself that I was capable of a longer period of time. It was too scary at first. But now that the cycle of daily drinking has been broken I am so much stronger, and after a few months I’ve committed to a whole year. But it took a lot of work to get here!

3 Likes

After speaking with my wife (after an 11month relapse) that I was done, and done for good. No “I’ll see if I can quit for awhile”. Nope. I accepted the finality of “never again”, that the future that I want has no room in it for my drinking…and the desire was pretty much gone. It has stayed gone.

I know I won’t drink. I won’t let myself down like that, won’t go back there again. Press on regardless.

Whatever it takes, and if at some time it takes going to meetings, or rehab. I don’t need that right now, but I will if needs be. My sobriety means everything, because it means freedom.

5 Likes

I told my wife i was going to quit for good on the 1st of jan. She gave me a look, and a swmi eye roll. I had a previous sober stint of almost 2 months before i took it back up.

I was totally ok mentally with the thoughts of never having another drink. The other go around i wasn’t

I had also tried all the other things many of us try. Cut back, only on the weekends, a different booze. Never works.

Anyway, im happy as a pig in shit with the sober me.

3 Likes

We’ve accepted and won’t settle for one day short of “forever”. That’s why we will win.

2 Likes

Yea I shoot down the part of my brain that trys to say " a little bit wont hurt and it would be so perfect right now" I just say NOPE and go distract myself lol

1 Like

Thank you. I have read so many of your comments

Yea and the personal goal for me is to remain sober. I just had to simplify it down from “forever” to “not now asshole” lol

3 Likes

Whatever works, keep doing it until it doesn’t work.

Thanks. I know…Al these gadgets we use and mind games we have to play with ourselves. That’s the struggle we have. It’s better than cancer or another condition that others are dealt