My story TW- abuse, self harm

Ok, here’s my story in a nutshell, 5 different step dads, one who physically and sexually abused me from age 5, was still in my life until my mum divorced him when I was in my 20’s. He was a raging alcoholic (died about 6 years ago) my brother was abused as well, he became a heroin addict and died when he was early 30s. I have self harmed since the age of about 13, including several overdoses. Last man my mum married was also an alcoholic (died 2 years ago) mum is teetotal by the way! I was a single mum for 5 years until I met my partner, i have a good job, an amazing daughter and a lovely step family. I have had various counseling sessions including EMDR which helped a lot but I’m still very anxious. Alcohol makes me SO much worse, I have so much to live for now but if I keep drinking the wheels are definitely going to fall off. Thanks for reading xx

10 Likes

This is a lot!! Thank you for sharing :pray:t2: Have you looked into EFT? My friend really has benefited from emotional focused therapy and has suggested it to me and I had not heard of it. I use yoga and am about to try somatic workouts to release the emotions and traumas stored in my body.

Thank you :blush: no I’ve not heard of that, will definitely look into it. I also want to get into yoga, I’ve done it a few times and loved it x

1 Like

Oh good! Yes, one of the things I have put off because of binge drinking is my yoga… we do a lot of emotional release and I’ve learned that women especially store things in our hips and we need to release that :heart: so glad I joined this app and I’m rooting for you!

1 Like

Same here :heart:

1 Like

What you said about yoga is so true. I remember the first yoga class I had with an amazing instructor, after having been away from the practice a while. At the end of the session I cried. The love and warmth and peace in that room, the breath work, all of it. It gave me such peace .
Here’s to yoga.

2 Likes

I’m looking for classes right now! :blush:

Hi @Blondie75 thanks for sharing your story. You have been through a lot of pain and yet you have good things in your life now that are worth fighting for.
What are you willing to do to get your sobriety rolling?
I needed to surround myself w recovery 24/7 in the beginning and I’m still active on here every day, I am in intensive psychotherapy, do self care and pursue a sport that has helped me build a positive and loving connection to my own body.

Here are some resources to get you started. Resources for our recovery my faves were the recovery elevator and the recovering by L Jamieson.

Good luck and stay active here! It helps!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the links, I’ll have a look tonight when I finish work and start making a plan x

1 Like