My unique crazy story

My story all begins 9 years ago when I signed up for an emt course, without knowing what I would be getting myself into. I always enjoyed a drink. That’s for sure. But once the pandemic hit, being a EMT in NYC was a whole different way of life. I had a wife and young son at home, and was constantly terrified of infecting them with this unknown crazy virus. I saw more death in a day, then I was used to seeing in a month. I turned to isolating after work. Stuck alone with my thoughts. But there was alcohol. And that’s when it really went off to the races for me. My drinking continued, I had two additional children, and then this past thanksgiving my whole life changed. After dinner I realized wow. I need more to drink. Found the only open bar and went off to do what I do. For the life of me, I don’t remember leaving. I don’t remember much. I woke up in the hospital. I had driven, crashed, totaled my car, severely injured myself, you name it. Waking up in the hospital I told myself I’m never EVER drinking again. And I haven’t. I suffered a brain injury from hitting the windshield, 6 broken ribs, and a fractured ankle that has required surgery to fix. I’m finally now back up on my feet. I’m grateful for every single day. But this guilt and shame that I feel for what I put myself and my family through has recently been eating me alive and I found this page and realized I’m not alone. Just trying to keep going a day at a time. Finishing my legal issues up soon hopefully, but unsure what the future holds for my license and my career.

Thank you for reading.

Ethan

13 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober and thanks for sharing your story Ethan. Quite a story it is too. Glad you’re here and glad you’re alive friend.

I hope you found a way to work on your Recovery. Being here, learning, supporting, getting support, sharing and growing has been a big part of mine. Working on the causes of my drinking another. Some find what they need in AA, others in other peer support programs.

I’ve been in psychotherapy for 3+ years by now. I’m sure we all need to put in the work to make it work, these sober lives of ours. Whatever that work may be for each of us. Anyway, glad to have you aboard. Strength in numbers. We’re in this together. Thanks again and wishing you all succes.

5 Likes

Thank you. I’ve definitely been trying to work hard on my sobriety with my therapist as well as online support due to not having a car. It’s not my first time getting sober as well. But I’m really hoping it’s my final one.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story. While the circumstances may be tragic, there is light at the end of the tunnel and you seem to be heading towards it. Glad to hear that you’re recovering and choosing sobriety.

This time around, what skills and tools can you use from your previous sober run? Your current decision to go sober can be the last one you make if you want it to. You’ve got this!

1 Like