NA Beers or other tips

I’m on day 5 being alcohol free. I was not an everyday drinker but more of a binger. Every 2-3 months I would have a bad night. My question is, does anyone drink NA beer or anything else to help with the oral addiction of physically drinking something? I don’t mind the taste of NA beer and I think it actually helps as a placebo effect.

Thanks!

1 Like

I avoid the non-alcoholic versions of beer and wine. All they ever did was make me want the real thing. Instead I drank seltzer. Now I only drink water and the occasional coke.

3 Likes

I sometimes drink NA wine if I’m really struggling but I’ve learned not to make it a regular thing. Part of addiction is habitual behaviours so we need to change the behaviours not just remove the alcohol content.

Basically I’m saying that one once in a while might not be a problem but don’t rely on them to get you through every day.

2 Likes

I’ll also say that many people are triggered to move from NA to the real stuff. If you feel that happening you need to throw it away and change to something else.

1 Like

So for me, I wasn’t addicted to the taste of booze, just it’s effect. Drinking NA beer serves 0 purpose except to make recovery harder. Do you really think that when your body gets the taste of booze, but not the effect, that it will be satisfied?

2 Likes

For the first few months I drank N/A here and there. Past couple months I won’t touch it. To afraid what it’ll lead to since I’ve been thirsty lately.

1 Like

I make mocktails. It’s helps me with my craving, but everyone is different. My dad is an alcoholic and will drink NA beers sometimes. I can’t do NA beers because they just make me crave the real deal. Some people avoid all of them. Find what works best for you. Good luck!

1 Like

My counselor recommended against NA beer. “If you hang around a barbershop long enough, you’re going to get a haircut,” he would say.

I dont drink the stuff. For me, its a life style change. I had to change my lifestyle, to stop drinking. NA beer would put me back in the drinking life style…and eventually would lead me back to drinking the real stuff. However, thats just me.

3 Likes