Naltrexone 50mgs

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience on Naltrexone to treat alcoholism. For anyone reading up on it, interested in hearing how others went on it. I know I tried to read as many experiences possible before I tried it.
I started taking 50mg tablets daily just under a month ago, as a heavy 15+ drinks a day, drinker. I suffer with severe depressive episodes. My doctor wasn’t super educated on naltrexone so she didn’t advise to slowly move up to 50mgs. But she is aware of my constant struggle with attempting to sober up and relapsing.
When I started I was really nauseous, dizzy and sleepy 24/7 for about a week before I decided to start taking half doses. From the day I started taking it, I had zero interest in drinking, essentially because I was so ill, but I was so desperate to have assistance to quit I would have dealt with anything. After about a week I started taking a half dose, I was extremely agitated, once the other symptoms got a bit better. It’s been another three weeks on a half dose and my cravings for alcohol are pretty much non existent. I attempted a sip of beer a twice with dinner as my hubby was drinking, but it didn’t really do much for me. However I’m still pretty nauseous and agitated off and on most days, and generally quite tired. It’s a win for the alcohol cravings, and a lose for my general health which is pretty disappointing. But saying this, I am going to start tapering off of the medication and keep it on hand to attempt the Sinclair method of taking if I feel a relapse coming, which unfortunately is my pattern (feel like I’m amazing and not an alcoholic after about two months of sobriety resulting in crashing and burning and spiralling into alcoholism again haha fml). So I’ll keep this post updated if anyone is interested in how I go with taking the medication before drinking. And how I go tapering off the medication.

28 days sober tho :metal: let’s see if I start feeling that sober high once this naltrexone exits my system.

4 Likes

I hate to hear that it’s making you sick, because it sure does a great job with the alcohol cravings. I’ve only been on it a week now, 50mg. I’ve noticed it actually seems to be helping with my eating disorder as well. So I’ve been basically doing the Sinclair method with that.

Smart to keep it on hand as my doc said that’s what I could do eventually if I ever wanted to stop taking it. I like that it works quickly. Congrats on 28 days!!! :man_dancing:

2 Likes

Check into Revia. It’s NOT Naltrexone. I take it. Have been for 2 years. No relapses. No cravings. No side effects. Talk to your Doc. It works.

1 Like

How to Treat Addiction & Abuse with Naltrexone

Naltrexone is a drug that is commonly prescribed as part of a comprehensive recovery programme from alcoholism and addiction. It works on the brain to decrease the cravings experienced for alcohol as well as by blocking the effects of drugs such as opioids. It is typically prescribed after drug detoxification/alcohol detoxification and is taken either orally or by injection into a muscle.

What Addictions is Naltrexone Used to Treat?

Medications for Abuse and Addiction

Medication is not always appropriate for the treatment of substance abuse and addiction, usually depending on the type of substance that was being abused. Sometimes medications are prescribed during the detoxification process to relieve the withdrawal symptoms or prevent these from occurring. These medications are usually replacement drugs, or the substance being withdrawn. Using replacement drugs can help to ease the severity of withdrawal symptoms and make the detox process less uncomfortable.

Medication may also be prescribed on an ongoing basis to help with abstinence maintenance. It could be the case that you require extra assistance to stay away from the substance you have been addicted to. Some medications can make it unpleasant to drink alcohol or take drugs, for example, while others will help reduce cravings and assist with relapse prevention.

How to Choose the Right Medication

Medication to treat substance abuse and addiction will be prescribed by a fully qualified medical professional who will fully assess your situation to determine what is the best treatment option for you and your situation. Doctors prescribe appropriate medication based on individual circumstances. He or she will take your age, weight, overall mental and physical health, and the type of addiction you have into account before prescribing any medication.

What is Naltrexone

Naltrexone is a powerful opioid antagonist that is primarily used to treat alcoholism, with studies showing that it can help reduces the amount of alcohol one consumes. It decreases the desire to drink but should be used as part of a programme of detoxification and rehabilitation rather than a treatment in and of itself.

Injectable naltrexone is used to decrease cravings for other substances such as heroin as well. Nevertheless, it can take a number of weeks before these decreased cravings are noticed.

Brand Names for Naltrexone

Vivitrol

Trexan

ReVia

Depade

Nalerona

Abernil

Naltrexona

Adepend

History of Naltrexone

Naltrexone was synthesised in 1963 by the small New York pharmaceutical company Endo Laboratories. In 1965, it was discovered to be a very strong opioid antagonist and was characterised by Blumberg, Dayton, and Wolf, who recognised the advantages that it had over other opioid antagonists. These advantages included a long duration of action that meant a once-a-day administration was possible.

In 1967, Endo Laboratories filed an application for the patent; at the time it was known under the developmental name of EN-1639A. In 1969, DuPont acquired Endo Laboratories and in 1973 the company began testing the drug in clinical trials for the treatment of opioid dependence.

In 1984, approval from the US FDA was granted and naltrexone was marketed under the brand name of Trexan for opioid dependence. In 1995 Trexan was rebranded as ReVia and approved for the treatment of alcohol dependence. The intramuscular injection version of the drug was approved for use in alcohol dependence in 2006 and for the treatment of opioid dependence in 2010, under the brand name of Vivitrol.

Is Naltrexone Addictive?

As naltrexone is a drug used to block the euphoria associated with opioid substances, there is little potential for abuse. It is therefore not classed as an addictive drug.

What is the Mechanism of Action

Naltrexone’s exact mechanism of action is not yet fully understood but it is believed that, as an opiate antagonist, it binds to the brain’s opioid receptors and works by blocking the feelings of pleasure that such drugs typically induce. Naltrexone can suppress the effects of alcohol and opioid drugs and consequently reduces feelings of pleasure and cravings.

Call us now for help

0808 278 9514

How Long Does It Take for Naltrexone to Work?

While the effects of naltrexone typically begin to show within thirty minutes of taking it, craving reductions for opioid drugs may take several weeks to take effect.

What are the Side Effects of Naltrexone?

• Anxiety
  • Headaches
  • Drowsiness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Panic attacks
  • Nervousness
  • Depression
  • Fatigue

Facts/Statistics on Naltrexone

Fact #1

Using naltrexone could make you more sensitive to opioid drugs. Therefore, if you use these in the future, you could be at higher risk of an overdose if using the same amount as before.

Fact #2

Naltrexone oral tablets are typically taken once per day; injectable naltrexone is administered once per month.

Studies Done on Naltrexone
A study on alcohol and alcoholism published in January 2001 sought to determine the safety and efficacy of naltrexone in the treatment of alcoholism. Eight double-blind placebo trials took place in five different countries. When the results were examined, it was found that while naltrexone is effective when used to reduce alcohol consumption, it had negligible effect when used during abstinence.

The study also concluded that ‘naltrexone should be administered to patients who were still currently drinking’ and that ‘the instructions should be to take naltrexone only when drinking was anticipated’.

2 Likes

Dam you actually drank 15 plus drinks. Man you are a warrior stay strong, you’ll get through this

1 Like

Yeah, the brand I’m taking is Revia. I’ve heard that it reacts differently for each person. I must be one of those people it reacts badly with. I also take other medication which could have something to do with it.

Yeah, it really is amazing how it completely takes away alcohol cravings. It effects everyone differently, it might be interacting with the other medication I am on. I already feel better waking up after not taking one dose last night.

2 Likes

Cheers man, i work in a bar so drinking becomes a part of life. I’m starting uni next month, so hoping the distraction will keep me focused on something positive.

1 Like

Yeah stay focused, I think alot of people relapse due to bordem. Take care, good luck

1 Like

Sorry you had this experience!!
I have found it amazing. I don’t get any cravings. Tonight a girl from work had leaving drinks, so I went along with my best friend to make sure I wouldn’t drink… The smell of beer usually makes me salivate and get agitated, but it did nothing!
I couldn’t even smell it really.
14 days sober, so usually I would still be getting quite bad cravings.

1 Like

My doc gave me a prescription for naltrexone, but I’m reluctant to add it to my daily meds, since I already take a statin, a low thyroid med, and something for sleep. Can you take naltrexone “as needed”, such as before going out to dinner socially?

Hi i have kinda shared my thought on Naltrexone everyone has a different reaction to different thing but for me it worked out great in my early sobriety . i use to get the vivitrol 380 mg but because of work and traveling for work it was always thought to get in after the 28 days i believe for the next injection. but coming off of the vivtrol shot i would feel sleepy and alil fainty and my doc said it could be the blood trying to lvl back out but taking the naltrexone helped with coming off the vivtrol injection 100 percent .i also had to do a taper after i stopped getting the shot and it was just naltrexone at that point but i kinda asked my doctor like i wanted to keep doing the counseling so every so often she’ll fill naltrexone .i wont lie i keep it as a back up for high pressure situations !!!

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I went ahead and tried just one naltrexone before going out socially. Didnt have the urge to drink, but felt really tired that night and next day. Ended up getting flu 2 days later! So maybe I was just getting sick. I guess I’ll keep it around for high pressure gatherings but not to be on it all the time.

I took Naltrexone for a while when I first quit alcohol. My doctor suggested taking it at night because it could cause drowsiness.