Naltrexone and craving control?

Hi community!

I recently had a relapse with a dangerous amount of alcohol. Every drink I had I didn’t want. I felt the best thing to do was go to a detox facility. I did and decided I would stay days after my sobriety. My body still hurts, dizzy, achy, mentally.

Now to my question. Does anyone have experience with naltrexone? I’ve had a prescription I haven’t touched because it made me feel sick when I tried taking it. Does the nausea go away? And does it really help ease cravings? Please if you have any info I would appreciate it!!!

3 Likes

I don’t but I’m glad you’re back.:hugs:

2 Likes

I’ve been on it since early June. I find it helps, but I feel that goes along with a lot of other changes I made. I was detoxed in the hood right before with an overdose of alcohol and sleeping pills. I couldn’t wait to get home so I could drink again. Gross. They said Antabuse was not an option for me because of how I drank, I would end up dead.

It’s hard to explain how the naltrexone helps. It’s not magic, it’s just hard to explain. I was against taking it at first and then decided that I was desperate and why not add something to my toolbox. I’m honestly terrified to go off it. I’ve craved recently, but have been able to talk sense into myself. I hope that was a smidge helpful. The nausea does go away :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m desperate and need an extra boost as well. I’m finally exploring and utilizing support, which I haven’t done in the past. Humility has finally kicked in and I realize I can’t do this alone.

This isolation and loneliness has been killing me, metaphorically and literally. I want my old life back and I’m so tired of suffering.

3 Likes

You’ll feel back to normal after the first week taking it !! It just has to get into your system good :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Good to hear

I have it prescribed as a low dose variation for the pain only in like 0,4 to 0,5 mg a day to shut of the dopamine system in my colons. It was in a time when I got diagnosed and also was stupid enough to hit the botte again. the I for a week or so tried having it in higher dose of 12,5mg. I reacted so strongly that it kept me sober right :wink: but symptoms did not go away my nerve pain got so bad in the end that I had to stop otherwise the pain would hef led me back…
But is is like Beth also mentioned, it works somehow in a funny way. So always worth the try I guess if it helps you through this!
good to see you are back safe and sound and took your ass to a detox because you cared so much for it! keep it up and let us know how these pills work out for you.

1 Like

This kills me to hear. This is exactly where I came from. I was isolated solo during mandatory quarantine and I think that sent me over the edge.

I’ll tell you, with therapy and the right meds, I’ve done a complete 180. I actually truly cherish my alone time now. I just feel mentatso much healthier.

I would give naltrexone a shot. It’s just a small tool on too of the other work we have to do. I was so against any meds at all. After I almost died a few months ago, I was desperate enough to surrender and listen to the professionals :slight_smile:

Sending lots of love and strength your way!!

2 Likes

I’ve been on it for over a year now. I love it, it has helped with the cravings and I’ve also been treating my obsessive compulsive behavior with alcohol along with the medication. It’s a good tool to have. I did have a friend who had a bad reaction with it the first time she tried it but they then found out she still had a fair bit of alcohol in her system (she had lied to them about that). She gave it a shot again at a later date, nice and clean and has been working for her since. Worse scenario you try something else because it’s not helping, but before you relapse.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I get a month sober and I think, I’ve got this! Then boom… A miserable week that takes me a month to heal from

1 Like

Yeah, we’ve all been there. Having one extra thing to turn to is great.

Be mindful the detox off it isn’t a pleasant one. But I suppose we could say that about any drug, @Natnat has come off it a few times I talk with her a lot but I don’t beleive she’s on forum right now. Good on you for making a difference and getting done what needed to be done, that my friend takes courage