Naltrexone?

Has anyone had any experience with taking naltrexone?

My doctor gave me a prescription for it today and I was just wondering how other people’s experience with it have been.

I’m on vivitrol which is injectable naltrexone and it works great for opiate and alcohol cravings. However, the pill form gave me side affects when I was prescribed it a few years back.

What type of side effects?

You may notice a change in your mood. If you start becoming depressed call your provider immediately. I have also heard that it affects the sex drive but I haven’t noticed that myself. If you do drink on it you will feel like you are hung over. When you pick up the prescription ask the pharmacist for a fact sheet. You can also ask your doctor for one

1 Like

Well I’m on anti depressants and my dosage just got increased. Also I didn’t seem to get a fact sheet when I picked up the prescription but I’ve been googling all morning and watching youtube videos.
I have high hopes

Then the big thing is to keep an eye on your mood. Naltrexone binds over your serotonin receptors without attaching to them so it can make you feel a little down. If you already on meds I’m not sure what the interaction may be. I would imagine you gave your doctor a full list of your medication so they wouldn’t give you any thing that could cause a reaction, I hope

I used to take it as an opiate blocker cuz my DOC is Heroin. In my opinion if ur not ready it’s torture. I took it when I was 17 and my mom used to watch me and make sure I took it and I wasn’t ready to quit so I literally felt like I was bein psychologically tortured… But if ur ready to quit, it helps

1 Like

Naltrexone is opiod antagonists!!! It is used for opiod addiction but in alcohol dependence it work in different mechanism!!! It blocks opiods around nucleus accumbens and block the reward pathway of addicition!!! That is when mesocorticolimbic d2 is blocked that reduces ur craving!!!
The only side effects is it causes dose dependent hepatotoxicity ( means impairs liver function) greater than 200 mg per day but 50 mg and 100 mg is tolerable dose!!!
It decreases total drinking days and craving and is FDA approved drug for alcoholism

1 Like

I’m still on naltrexone and almost 3 Year’s clean, 75mg a day which last 3 days but I take it everyday and my parents use to make sure I swallowed it because I checked them when I was still using. Make sure you are absolutely clean because the rapid withdrawals are hell and I’ve gone through that experience more then once. Other then that I believe it is a good solution compared to methadome and suboxone. There are no side effects if stopped

I took naltrexone while I was “cutting down” on drinking. I don’t know if it helped, but I didn’t have side effects. I am also on three other mental health meds, and I didn’t have any interactions that I know of. When my script ran out I just didn’t refill it. I don’t think I have physical cravings for alcohol anymore, so I don’t think I need it.