Narcotics-Anonymous for Atheists?

I just picked up a copy of Narcotics Anonymous 6th edition and have been reading through it. I have noticed that NA is deeply intertwined with religion and talks a lot about ‘God’ and spirituality and so fourth. I respect everyone’s beliefs, but I have been an atheist (am not apart of any religion/doesn’t believe in any god’s or goddesses) for as long as I can remember. Is there any way I can be apart of and/or utilize NA while being an atheist?

3 Likes

My same issue with AA/NA! I’m an atheist and have a problem with, who I feel are, bible thumpers. I need some science.

2 Likes

NA has a lot of athiests in it. Just replace God with Higher Power, or any power greater than yourself. Nature, science, the universe would all qualify. Read the story on page 274. Also check out pages 94, 234 and 362.

1 Like

I would suggest, for what little my opinions are worth, that both of you consider looking up the books by a chap named Alan Carr. He has written a number of books about addictions (my particular focus was the one on alcohol) that are devoid of religious content, so far as I have noticed.
I bought the Kindle version of one of his books on Amazon, and it wasn’t even 6 euros, so certainly no big investment.
Like both of you, I have a problem with the religious undertones (and OVER-tones) of AA (I don’t know about NA).
Just a thought.

2 Likes

Of course u can . Just stay openminded and keep comming back ! Because it works

1 Like