Narrow Pass of the First Year

Today marks one year without a drop of alcohol. It’s been over two years, but the first year was spotty. Not for nothing, though, I did some of my best sober work that first year. So, what does all this mean to me?

The day before Saint Patrick’s Day, we went to see a band play at a nightclub. Everyone was drinking Irish whiskey and green beer, buzzed up, and dancing. At one point, I noticed a feeling surging through me; the craving for booze wasn’t pulling on me. I’d been living with the pull of alcohol for so long that its absence surprised me. The thought that went through my head was, “This is freedom.”

Now, this doesn’t mean I can let down my guard. No way. The point is, I now know what sobriety means to me and what it feels like. Freedom.

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom, encouragement, and support to us through this narrow passage.

25 Likes

Congratulations on your year Denver!!! :clap: :heart:

3 Likes

Excellent! Happy for you Denver. Thanks for sharing your success. Huge congrats.

3 Likes

Congratulations on 1 year!!! Todays my sober birthday too lol keep up the hard work.

3 Likes

Huge Congratulations :fireworks:

2 Likes

1 year is a mile high achievement! Great job!

3 Likes

Well done Denver !! :blush:

2 Likes

WTG Denver, keep on truckin !! It is wonderful when alcohol no longer has any attraction or repulsion, just neutrality - true freedom, as you say

My anniversary is St Patty’s eve (Mar 16) and I’ve been able to fully integrate back into society , St Patty’s Day has a much different (sober) meaning for me than most of the drinking
revelers.

3 Likes

william wallace

4 Likes

Hell yeah, it’s Freedom!! Congrats on the spotless one year !!:1st_place_medal::1st_place_medal::1st_place_medal:

1 Like

Congratulations on your one year! I’m so happy for you!

1 Like

Congrats on your 1 year sober and the spotty but educational time before that! :tada: :muscle:
I love stories or insights like this, thanks for the share :raised_hands:

2 Likes

That is truly awesome work and yes – such freedom. Keep up your amazing efforts

raw

1 Like

Well done for that whole year! :facepunch:
200w (2)

1 Like

:tada::confetti_ball::raised_hands::pray::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::revolving_hearts::two_hearts::tada::confetti_ball::weight_lifting_woman::clap::clap::clap::pray::confetti_ball::heavy_heart_exclamation:Yes!!! Goals to be able to be in an environment like that and stay strong!

1 Like

Congrats on all this freedom :tada:

1 Like

Thank you for your comments and encouragement. It makes all the difference.

2 Likes