Natural herbs for detox and cravings

Hey guys thought I’d chime in a little bit about what’s been going on. I’m going on my first week sober and it’s definitely been difficult. It’s actually been a little longer but I was in the ER with DTs for a day and half and then made the decision a few days after to try this journey again. Anyways, things have been good just trying to get my body to a place when I actually feel normal again. I’m still feeling sick and the body is sore but it’s just part of the process I suppose. Going from heavy day to day drinking down to nothing is a big change I can definitely feel my body pushing itself to heal. The other day I met with a friend who is a herbalist and she suggested some natural alternatives for detox and cravings so I thought I’d share. First one you might be familiar with, kava, it’s a natural anti anxiety herb that can be bought in pill or raw plant form. Consumption is teas and tinctures or pill capsule. It’s a rather potent relaxant but is non habit forming. There’s kava bars out there just like coffee shops so keep an eye out and give it a try. One thing about it is if your are still drinking a small consumption, do not use Kava as it will intensify drowsiness. As for cravings, Gynema has been used in Chinese medicine to regulate blood sugars which is surprisingly associated with alcohol cravings. I have not personally tried Gynema but I’m sure it’s available at most natural supplement suppliers. Hang in there guys! God bless!

11 Likes

Good stuff man. Thanks for sharing:).

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing about the kava herb. I’ve been looking into different natural ways to help my anxiety during this process of becoming sober. I sleep with a lavendar essential oil diffuser every night and that helps my insomnia most nights. I’ll definitely look into the kava though. Thanks!

2 Likes

The kava is a relaxant. The pill form is great it usually kicks in within 15-20 mins and socially it can be a nice alternative to drinking when u go out

2 Likes

Hey Nate! Thanks for the info on kava. I’ve found sage to be really helpful in dealing with cravings and rebalancing the system (especially hormones which run the show) - I throw 4-5 leaves in a teapot an sip this of a morning/evening. For sleep try valerian and for deep sleep and happy dreams mugwort. Camomile also helps with calming irritation and wired nerves, tingly fingers and toes. Best of luck, I’m Day 2. It’s tough. but today I stopped and thought for the first time… I feel like I’m living and not dying today. Awesome :+1:

3 Likes

Sometimes just waking up without a hangover and a clear mind is enough reminder of how much better things will get!

2 Likes

I’ve read about Kudzu?

Is that the same thing or similar?

1 Like

Thanks Nate. I never knew about Kava. When I first quit drinking I would take a tablespoon of potassium (taste gross so have something sweet to chase it down with) for my nerves and restless legs. It helps with that pain. Lavender and euculiptis oils for calming not only my body down but my mind. They also have a calming tea at the herbal store that works great. Oh and multivitamins because my body was shot and needed time to heal. I also didn’t deprive myself from sweets, when your body is use to breaking so much alcohol it is breaking down sugar so you do need to replace it at first and slowly back off the sweets. It really helps with the shakes and anxiety.

1 Like

Kudzu is a root extract and from my understanding I don’t think it helps with calming and anxiety but it’s supposed to help the body consume less alcohol when drinking and is helpful with hangover symptoms. Kava is also a root extract but its effects are much different and while it doesn’t specifically cater to alcoholism and recovery it aids in many withdrawal symptoms to help control anxiety and promote better sleep patterns. It’s also known to boost the immune system and fight cancer cells. People should also be aware that liver disease has been associated with Kava so moderation is key.

I suggest the tea forms of Kava. It can be potent so don’t plan on driving immediately after consumption.

Thank you. We’re can I find the Kava?

1 Like

Grocery stores will have some kava teas but i would check your local natural foods store They will have more products to choose from. Also local coffee shops might actually serve it. There is a kava bar here where I live it’s becoming pretty hipster ha