Need a Day 1

This is my first post, I just joined this morning. I am riddled with shame and anxiety and desperate to be free from my nightly wine. I’ve abused alcohol for years. I’m a 56 yo female who struggles with overwhelming anxiety with a side of depression. I am a wife and a mother to an amazing 19 yo son.
Anyway, just reaching out for support, it’s been forever since I’ve had a day one under my belt and am open to any advice/suggestions. TIA

9 Likes

If night-time is your trigger, plan out things to do every night. STAY BUSY. Come on here to chat and read. Do activities you normally don’t associate with drinking. At least at first. Usually when I’m sober in the beginning I stay away from anything I’d do with alcohol. Eat. After a meal at night, I wouldn’t want to drink. I’m the wine for dinner kind of girl.

I also did a lot of cleaning and organizing newly sober. Nothing like a good clothing purge. :blush:

And keep checking in! Do the daily check ins, they will make you feel accountable. We are all rooting for you!!! :heart: :+1:

5 Likes

Welcome @Nels to an awesome group from around the world. This forum and aa have gotten me and keeping me sober.

My advice would be to dedicate at least as much time to your recovery as you would dedicate to drinking…or thinking about drinking.

You dont have to do this alone

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Nels. My advice is to work on your recovery everyday and make that your top priority. Whether it’s meetings, time on here, reading or listening to quit lit. Whatever just do something. And just go one day at a time, and they’ll start adding up fast

3 Likes