Need Advice on teenager struggling with addiction

Need some advice, I have a friend who has a 16-year-old who’s addicted to fentanyl and refusing any help. They’ve asked me if I had any advice for them and what role they should play and I’m not really sure what to tell her? Do you hold the same boundaries that you would with an adult?

3 Likes

I would say that’s a fine line. They don’t have life experience really and their minds I don’t think understand how dangerous fentanyl is or addiction for that matter. If it were my kid I would probably put them in treatment right away. Fentanyl is too deadly not to take drastic action. Again just my humble opinion. Prayers to that family :pray:

3 Likes

See I thought the same exact thing, but I guess they’re in New York and in New York even Minors have to give consent for treatment so they can’t force him into treatment and they’ve already tried contacting CPS to get them involved and CPS won’t do anything. So do you keep letting him wreck havoc in your home? but also, how can you throw them out there 16 and like you said they’re not mature enough to make conscious decisions when it comes to addiction and realize the impact of the consequences of those actions, I feel anyways.

2 Likes

That is tough! Do they have the means to go out of the state to one that will allow them to put the child in treatment? I hope someone that knows the NY recovery system sees this post and can maybe give some direction. I didn’t get into problems until my mid 30’s so I can’t speak to a young adult or teenager and what might get through. Plus you’re dealing with fentanyl and again that’s a whole different beast IMO. I would work the treatment route if it were my kid, that’s all I do know :heart:

1 Like

Not a parent and have no experience in this but maybe a gentle yet tough love approach. Like at the boundry that if they don’t get help there gonna be in there own the the day they turn 18 and doing the playing the tape foward with them in a gentle manner that makes them want to get treatment. I mean usually nothing changes if the person doesn’t want to change anyway. Idk just a thought really not sure what to say

1 Like