Need advice on this

So I’ve been smoking weed for a couple of years now and used to do it everyday which I realized was bad. At that point it was a coping mechanism, but now it’s just a social thing. Is it bad to smoke once in a while with friends but keep track? I enjoy it but I’m also really bored of it and know being completely sober is what’s best. I’m just not sure I’m ready to totally give it up. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Like anything it has the potential to become something you’re addicted to, especially as you have an addictive personality.
Some people here have severe addictions to it and are working hard to beat it so best not to be blasé about it.

1 Like

Only u can determine if u are an addict, but if you are an addict, moderating or trying to control drugs will be very difficult. I can only speak on my own experiences, but bcuz i am an addict, every single attempt in the past to try and moderate or control my use of drugs, ALWAYS 100% of the time, would end up with me using daily again. The only thing that works for me is complete abstinece from drugs and alcohol. As soon as i put any mind altering substance into my body, i release my addiction all over again. It becomes a constant inner battle that quite frankly is beyond exhausting. Thats just my experience tho :slight_smile: but i know for me, i could never just “control” my use

2 Likes

It didnt work for me. I was a daily smoker. Easy to get now. Because its legal basically everwhere. It stoped working for me. After some time. Glad to say im 8 months sober today. Would not change that for the world. Smoking weed gets old :sleeping:.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. thank you for replying. I just have such a hard time when I’m surrounded by it and it has been my coping mechanism for so long. I’m so torn and I know I’m better off not doing it at all because like you said it does become a daily thing slowly but surely. I’m torn

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I know I will be much happier sober, but I don’t know how to get there when I’m surrounded by it and like you said it’s legal now. Do you have any advice or tips on how you quit?

1 Like

If your sorrounded by it. Just walk away from it. Its your choice. Nobody is gonna force you to smoke. But peer pressure will always be there if your around it. It takes time. But you have too be sure that you really wanna quit. Taking a break is one thing but quitting for good is entirely different.

Thank you! I do really want to quit, I know I’ll feel much better and I’m bored of it at this point. I know you know it’s incredibly difficult to give up something that has been a huge part of your life for a long time. I feel like I need to replace it with something positive but I tend to trade addiction for addiction and I know I can’t afford to do that.

1 Like

Anonymous groups have a 12 step program. Its a spiritual program that replaces god with every addiction. I mean that could be something you can try. Theres always therapy. Theres different support groups as well for all your addictions. Just gotta really wanted.