Need all and any advice!

So tomorrow will be my first day ( again) on trying to get sober, if someone could give any advice on what keeps them going when the cravings and withdrawels start? Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Thinking of the shame when you relapse. Thinking of the things you can lose and thinking of the pain that would come if you lose them. Think about the fact that if you keep using, you will die from it and quite possibly with nothing left. Addiction is dangerous shit, it will kill you if you don’t do anything about it.
Also if the cravings hit really hard, take it 1 minute at a time, this way it will be easier to keep clean. But the power to really stop has to come from within you

4 Likes

Stop picking up the first drink, go to bed sober. :wink:

2 Likes

thankyou! Will keep this in mind😀

1 Like

does this include coffee? Cant go without my caffiene! My affect my sanity​:grinning::joy:

Think about how awesome it is to wake up without a hangover! :sunny::yellow_heart::blush:

4 Likes

I agree with Donna, just don’t pick up. Its difficult at first but it does get easier. You’ve got this. Best of luck to you. Message if you want to talk about anything, I’ll do my best to respond if you do.

1 Like

Right?! Waking up with no shame or regret for decisions made the night before is one of the most rewarding feelings ever.

1 Like

thanks everyone! Will take all this points into consideration🙂

Basically, you’ve made the decision to stop, yes?
So stick to it like a limpit to a rock.
Don’t let any sneaky voice or craving turn your head.
Just think about what would happen, how you’d feel. Remember the reason why you have given up in the first place.
But most of all, just don’t give in.

4 Likes

the thought of my last drunk - wasnt cute. and thinking of waking up with an ashtray mouth and splitting headache, having to call off work no doubt. falling into a depression for the following days. NO THANKS. i’ve worked too hard to get here. :heart:

4 Likes

I practice the 12 steps in my day to day life.

5 Likes

Honestly, I was sick of being controlled by alcohol. It ran and controlled my life every day. I didn’t have a life, as soon as I could get away from work I was drinking until I passed out at night. I drank morning to night every weekend. I was done. So when I quit I fought the cravings by telling myself I wasn’t going to let alcohol run my life anymore. Yes, I ate what ever I wanted, I drank a ton of water, I took my vitamins, but it was the determination to take my life back that kept the bottle away. I was sick, sweaty, had headaches, couldn’t sleep, but I knew I couldn’t drink. I wasn’t going to let alcohol win. The first four days were pure hell, but it’s what had to be done. Take it one day at a time. Do whatever you have to in order to get to bed sober, even if that’s not getting out of bed all day. Then do it again the next day. As your determination grows and you develop your own daily coping techniques, tons of useful information on this site, the days start getting easier. Just don’t give in.

Good luck my friend. You can do this.

3 Likes

Thankyou, lets hope i find the strength to succeed

You have the strength already. It is within you. Acknowledge this truth and go in with a determined, can do attitude. Because, you can do this. We all know you can, it’s you whose now got to believe it and move forward with courage and confidence. No matter what, say NO to the drink that matters, the first drink! And when your mind is telling you how wonderful it will be just to have one … remember that it’s BS and play the tape all the way through. Remember why you’re here, why you started this sober journey. Decide now, if you’re a drinker or a non-drinker… and then start living your life. I truly believe that sober life = our best life and that alcohol is poison. This mindet / perspective is a helpful reminder on those days where I think of drinking. Check in here daily and join in the discussions, sharing your experience and helping others. This will bring you much sober success. And, if you’re really concerned, perhaps seek out a support group like AA or Refuge Recovery. Wish you all the best @Jamesyb :blush::muscle:

3 Likes

You have to mean it from the bottom of your heart first that you want to quit. When you crave and have withdrawals calling someone and talk about it. Also say to yourself "f that drug or alcohol beverage “im not in love and dont have love for it no more” “I’m not letting g this addiction bring me a million steps back again.” Its my 16th day James and I feel it’s my first because like you I started over in the past. Just focus and keep your sober time reset on all zero :muscle:t4::muscle:t4::muscle:t4:

4 Likes

Just take one day at a time. If you have to just do one minute, every 30 minutes or every hour to get through your urges and cravings. Talk to your Higher power or your sponsor. You can do this and come out a winner.

2 Likes

Thankyou everyone for the motivational words! Its surely welcomed at a time like this :grinning:

2 Likes

Physical pain doesn’t bother me enough to make it a factor on stopping, but I remind myself/ play the tape of the terrible shame and crippling guilt that I will feel. That has been the most useful tactic in defeating/ holding urges at bay. A second helpful tactic is reminding myself that the feeling I like best is going to bed at night thinking that no matter what else, today I was sober, and that’s a good victory against something that kills and ruins millions every year.

The urges do pass.

I ask myself " will a drink help me, or will it just help my addiction?"

That has been useful.

1 Like