Need another hobby

Been sober for a bit and I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with my time now. I draw, paint, cook, workout, read, fish, hike but as soon as I finish I’m bored and think about drinking.
Any suggestions?

9 Likes

do you game at all?

I’ve taken up painting in sobriety. I enjoy it because I like creating art. I also appreciate a steady hand from not drinking. I fills the time i used to spend at bars and with drinking buddies.

I plan on taking up scuba diving and surfing. Both of those are things I’ve been wanting to do but havent, because when i drink, i dont get around to trying anything new. They are good exversize, and part of a healthy lifestyle I want to live.

As an alcoholic the desire to drink is always in the background. Sometimes its quiet, other times its loud.

Ive also found that spending money on good things like vacations, and hobbies with the money i saved not drinking keeps me less tempted to drink.

Pick another interest you have, and go for it. There are so many things i want to do. Staying sober increases the likelyhood that i will do them.

5 Likes

You have the right idea! I have enough hobbies to always keep my mind focused and never bored. And if I happen to be where I can’t do any of them, I still have my phone with games in an “emergency”. I would definitely get bored if I only had one hobby. Even the one I love the most, I have to take a break after a few hours.

For me,
Gardening
Swimming
Checking out a new place (even new coffee shop…anything new to me)
Reading
Reading here
Listening to AA talks
Netflix
Saving money. Like those online savings apps…stash…betterment… I kinda like playing around with those. Doesnt take much money. Like saving for future
My husband is an artist (professional one, watercolor and oils) so dabble with paints
Driving. I have always loved going for drives.
Cooking
Cleaning my house. (Drunk for a decade leads to a messy house)
AA meetings in person and online
…still looking for ideas…

4 Likes

Musical instrument, crafting–this is a big category. Go to an arts and crafts store and just explore. You will get ideas. YouTube can inspire you. That’s my go-to. You liked to workout. Learn another kind of exercise or method. Have you tried squats? Don’t limit yourself to hobbies that are considered male or female. I’m a guy, and I love to crochet. Don’t worry about what people think. Try anything.

4 Likes

Maybe check out some recovery meetings. This is a recent topic with a pretty massive list of resources A list of recovery groups, hotlines, text lines.

2 Likes

Hobbies…hmmm, I don’t really have hobbies. But I do have a growing list of things I want to try when I retire (I’m hoping in about 10 years).

Guitar
Drums
Drawing
Painting
Write a book

2 Likes

I run and I game for my hobbies. I love playing D&D with friends. Dont get to do it a whole lot anymore, but still enjoy it.

It seems to me it’s not the hobby but your mindset.
I don’t think doing more will help, you have to train your mind to dissociate boredom with drinking. Down time can be reading, studying or listening to music.
It’s all in the mindset.

5 Likes

If you have a reasonable camera on your smartphone you can find loads of things to take pictures of…
I love close up flowers, architecture (abstract shapes) birds etc.

4 Likes

Paint by number! Im currently doing a hipster cow i found on amazon :joy_cat:

1 Like

There’s an even more comprehensive list (including books & videos) here:
Resources for our recovery

This is a great idea!