Need help today

I’m struggling today. Was able to go straight home after work. But now after receiving some bad news I don’t know how to deal with it.

3 Likes

What’s up Ryan?

1 Like

I feel like every minute is really a hour and I can not stay still. I just want to go to the bar around the block and for get or numb the pain I feel right now.

2 Likes

Treat yourself with something that isnt alcohol. Mocktail, juice, tea, hot chocolate…something you havent had in awhile?

7 Likes

Hop in the shower. A really long. Really hot shower. 30 minutes. That what I use to do at 5 pm every night my first few weeks. I’d have a good cry too. Because I cannot drink like a normie. And it’s not fair. Then pour a nice glass of sparkling water and cook a nice meal. All relaxed. Half hour. As hot as you can take it.

10 Likes

Me and Eminem did a lot of angry power walks too. Twice a day. I’d put on the angriest nastiest meanest hip hop rap shit I could find and walk my ass off. Get moving. Do something else asap.

8 Likes

Go to a meeting.

3 Likes

You got some good suggestions here. I know it sucks. But drinking just makes a shit day way worse when you sober up. I hope you are eating some ice cream after a long walk and a hot shower. You deserve more than a crappy hangover and feeling like a loser. One minute at a time.

4 Likes

Exactly what I try and do myself! Great advice!

3 Likes

Try a meeting ,i got phone numbers and when i felt like you do i called a sober friend no mobiles then just house phones or the phone booth on the corner lol wish you well

2 Likes

How you doing Ryan?

4 Likes

It’s a new day today. I hope it is going much better for you! Either way, we are here to support you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hope your ok Ryan :pray::pray:

1 Like

I get kombucha when I have strong alcohol cravings, also lagunitas has a really good zero alcohol hoppy refresher. It’s in the alcohol section and in a beer bottle. Just careful not to reach for a real beer if you do go to the store. I drink the hoppy refresher when I’m in social settings where everyone’s drinking it’s kind of like a Heineken 0.0 or something. Just a suggestion❤️ Hang in there it does get easier, keep pushing forward!!! Mann it sounds like a day to just get your “feet in the sheets”…as my gf from treatment always says. The meaning of it to me is —no matter what—just get to bed and your feet in the sheets and make it through the night without using or drinking. Prayers and good vibes your way. You can do this!

2 Likes

Today was a little better. But was still a struggle because I was stressing over a final I had to take for my union. But was still able to avoid the bar after work. Even after knowing I killed that test. I feel a need to drink or celebrate. It seems like even if I failed I’d say I have to drink to feel better. Ether way I’m coming up with a excuse to get out the house and go drink and hangout. And hangout with people who don’t even have my best interest in heart. This community is really not making me feel alone. Thank you, to all of you.

5 Likes

I hear ya. I drank to get over it. I drank to celebrate it. I drank to travel. I drank cuz I was bored. I drank if my team won. I drank If my team lost. I drank to kill my feelings. And when I had good feelings and I was happy. I drank then too.

I conditioned my brain with booze. Everything in my life revolved around that drink. It’s in so many books I’ve read about sobriety. But I’m not good at putting it into words. I had to break that cycle some how. My first few weeks maybe 6 or 7. 2 power walks a day. And many many days, 2 showers a day. I always shower in the morning. But when the wife, she still drinks, started in on the 5 pm drinking. In she hot shower I went. It does get easier and it is so worth it.

Do you go to meetings. Have any AA or sober friends?

1 Like

Have you seen this thread. Got some good stuff on it.