Need some tips for upcoming trip

I’m attending an event that will involve someone that pushes my buttons. Please reply with some strategies I can use to keep myself in check. I don’t want to have to make any amends later. Lol

5 Likes

Hah. That sounds like me before I see my family at Xmas time. I try and draw on the strength of bigger obstacles I’ve gotten past in sobriety and remember they were a lot more challenging than not blowing up at family members. I think of those things and then keeping my mouth shut for a matter of hours seems more manageable. (Granted, it’s still tough in the moment haha) but so far I’ve done alright and I leave proud of my behavior instead of making a scene and owing any amends. Then I call someone and vent while driving home and I’m good until the next December hah. Im sure it’ll go smooth and without amends needed :metal:

2 Likes

If a person is the issue then firstly stay away from them. Beforehand write down why you quit and why that person is not worth your relapsing.
Plan an exit strategy, tell people you have a busy day the next day and leave if you need to. There is no shame in leaving early.
Finally plan what you will drink, and keep one in your hand constantly.

3 Likes

Try to avoid that person as much as possible and when you have to interact keep it short. When I interact with severely negative people I make it a challenge to counter their negativity with extreme positivity. I honestly picture myself as Wonder Woman and I use her cuffs to deflect all those negative thoughts directed at me.

I am trying to learn to pray and send energy to those people that stress me in life. I’m learning that the people I dislike the most remind me of a quality in myself that I wish I didn’t have. I’m trying to learn to explore the quality rather than my dislike of the person.

Whatever you do don’t drink about it. That never helps. Stay strong. And pretend you have fake WW cuffs if you need to. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Just got done with a camping trip…it included a button pusher. I probably was on here more in the last 5 days than i have been on a month.

4 Likes

Thank you, everyone! All of your posts had just the right comments to help me with this event. It involves 4 nights and 3 days. I’m staying in a motel, so that’s good.
I appreciate all you have said and will keep on the positive path. Thanks so much. :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:

2 Likes