Need suggestions - Attending a wedding on Saturday

Hello,

I’m going on 4 days sober and will be attending a wedding on Saturday. I don’t ever remember going to a wedding and not drinking. Any advice to help curve the cravings and make it through this day?

Do a search on here for weddings and you will find lots of great advice to help you thru.

Congrats on your 4 days!!

1 Like

I have found when I’m not drinking ordering a soda water with a lime and a straw and ppl just assume you are drinking “something” and no one notices or says anything. I’m not embarrassed I’m sober I just don’t feel like explaining it all night. Just my thing! Have fun and stay sober!

3 Likes

Perfect! And… thank you. I appreciate it!

I’m attending a wedding Saturday too ( that will be 20 days) I’m not willing to sacrifice those days so soda water it is. Be strong you CAN do it! We all got your back and are here for you!

Knowing what I am drinking before i go. So when they come round and ask you… I can I’ll have a large orange juice with ice and and a straw please. ( whatever you like to drink.) by the time I said that they go okay.

People tend to not really care…and what I have found is that if they keep asking me questions they could be looking at the idea. ( my experience!)
I notice that people don’t drink like I do. If they do then they don’t care about me not drinking.

I love dancing (two left feet and no rhythm!) I feel dancing is always a time killer. And again I act a fool and have a laugh. I didn’t get sober to be a miserable person.

Best thing of all… I can remember my friends wedding and i gave lifts to people and did a ice run. Because I didn’t drink… I was able to be of service!

1 Like

If you do feel tempted or uneasy about someone or something. Call a friend who understands. I found that super helpful… I am not alone! Who knows you could be useful!
You don’t have to stay the whole night…that’s a revaluation to me!! I’m not that important… apparently… I found setting a time with myself so I have a exit plan always useful.
hope I said something useful. Enjoy the wedding…

1 Like

Have a drink in hand so that less people ask.Im sure there is sprite or shirley temples for you to drink in place.even if someone asks just say you dont feel like drinking.Nothing wrong with that.
Weddings can be scary but Ive done it and many others have too.
If you get too uncomfortable dont be afraid to leave.

1 Like

Know your triggers, drive you’re own car so that if you need to leave, just leave, have phone numbers of sober friends you can call if you get squirrely and for some reason can’t leave. Take a sober friend with you that can help you get through it. Always have an exit plan! And most importantly, just relax, have some sober fun, it truly can be a great, sober experience and one that you’ll remember!. Stay strong, stay connected, stay sober! :rose:

2 Likes