Need to look at life and myself differently

I’ve been sober since January of this year but instead of allowing myself to feel good about it I’m having problems dealing with the absolute guilt and shame over being so weak minded that I wasted most of my life up till now using drugs and alcohol not to mention how my choices have affected others, especially my kids. I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to start thinking of myself differently now that I’m sober. I’m such an inward thinker and critical of myself. I plan to start therapy soon to discuss this but it almost seems like an impossible task. Thanks for letting me share!

11 Likes

Hi @Genjacks0n ,sober since January is insanely good, I bet while your beating yourself up your family and friends are so happy to have you back sober …we all need to work through guilt but try and be kind to yourself , proud of yourself .your not that person anymore your doing great . Book your counselling tell them everything (especially the shit bits )get it out .smile more today worry less today and enjoy your family s light … guilt and worry are thankless tasks

4 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

There is nothing we can do to change the past. It’s easy to say and hard to do sometimes, but we need to accept our own pasts, learn from our mistakes, and look towards the future. Being sober since January is a huge accomplishment. I hope you can give yourself some grace and choose sobriety one day at a time.

4 Likes

Now if I could just quit cigarettes I would be all set! Seems that all my willpower is used up at the moment, Lol

3 Likes

The windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror, because where we are going is more important than where we’ve been.
If you keep looking to the past you’ll miss the future… And the future in waaaaay more important.
Keep trucking

7 Likes

There are 3 books I recommend for you as I know exactly what you’re talking about.

1. Louis Gigilio - Don’t give the enemy a seat at your table.

2. Dr. David Burns - Feeling Good

3. Echard Tolle - The Power of Now

It takes effort to re-train our minds, but God bless your sobriety!

1 Like

Maybe try a meeting meet new sober like minded people who have gone through what your going through, for me i got a sponsor got on a 12 step program which dealt withy my past and now i only look to the future help out there if you want it wish you well

2 Likes

Welcome @Genjacks0n , and congratulations on your sobriety. I can relate to what you said about your inner critic. Good idea to seek help with that. Over the years I got help with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Dialectical Therapy. Finding a therapist you click with can be a challenge, but it’s worth it. I also have read lots of self help stuff. It’s an ongoing journey really. Wish you well!:pray::peace_symbol:

@AyBee. I love that quote, “the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror”. What a great way to look (pun intended) at the days ahead vs the days behind.
Good luck on you journey.
Hugs

3 Likes