Nervous about fishing opening

My tribe is finally opening our salmon fishery that was delayed do to covid. I am a little nervous because after a fishing trip a beer never sounds better. Fisherman have the “work hard, play hard” mentality. I would always celebrate every trip by getting fucked up. I am also nervous because i would smoke a lot of weed while fishing and now i can’t. This will be yet another big test for myself

4 Likes

You’re not alone Anthony. Jason has shared about this quite a bit over the last year:

Take it one day at a time. Just stay safe and focused. Remember you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t feel stable enough to fish sober, you don’t have to go. If you do go, you don’t have to drink or smoke.

Take care brother :innocent:

3 Likes

It is possible to stay sober. I had to stay away from drinking buddies and the bars.

Its challenging to stay away from drinking buddies at the dock because other fisherman were my drinking buddies. I had to get my boat chores done and get away from the dock as quickly as possible.

I always checked in here as many times as I could while fishing to keep focused on sobriety. The trip in or out. While waiting for our turn at the fish buyers. Pretty much any time I could.

I participated in the meme thread and nature photos. Sunrise and sunsets, whatever else I could capture with my phone and shared them here.

I reached out and asked for support while doing it just like your doing now. That was extremely helpful.

I spent the money I would have spent on drinking on a camera. Now, whenever I use it, that helps me stay greatful I didnt drink.

Today I celebrate 9 months continuous sobriety.

9 Likes

Ive been kind of excited to share some of my photos to be honest lol. The things we see out on the ocean others may never see in a lifetime. Ive had to talk with my deckhand about his drinking. Basically told him i can’t be around it and don’t want him showing up hungover or drunk.

9 Likes

That’s the way to be.
You have to do everything you possibly can to make sure you stay sober.
Some of it may feel totally alien to you.
Good luck. And I look forward to seeing some pics.
I was in the navy years ago. Love the ocean.

1 Like

A nice surprise about me quitting drinking has been more respect on the dock.

As a drunk I didnt see the desire for a sober deckhand. Most of the better boats like it.

I havent been in any physical altercations since I quit either. I talk alot less shit. Lol.

Making it through crab season sober was big for me. Its givin me confidence in staying sober through anything else that comes my way.

All those reasons I used to believe drinking made things better werent true. I had a great season. Im looking forward to the next one.

Im away from the ocean right now.

Sobriety gave me the ability to get my relationship with my kids back. Im in Utah making that happen this summer.

Im working construction, but I’d much rather be fishing. Im going back in October to get ready for crabbing.

As a drunk I didnt handle my emotions very well. I made life alot harder on myself.

In recovery I’ve been able to walk through challenging situations gracefully and get the most positive outcomes.

Every aspect of my life has improved. I dont want to live like I did as a drunk ever again.

7 Likes

Neah bay. Makah reservation. Ive always wanted to try some winter steelhead fishing on the wynoochee

1 Like

I think I’ll have it a lot easier then you do because my reservation is a “dry” res, meaning there is no alcohol sold here. Way back when our treaty was signed our ancestors knew alcohol wasn’t a good thing. So they put on the treaty that no alcohol is to be sold on the reservation. So i don’t have a bar here in town i can just come in and go to. Thanks for sharing Jason. Much appreciated

3 Likes

Congratulations on 9 months Jason!

1 Like

I look forward to reading and watching your story unfold. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching and being a part of Jason’s. And ALL THE PICS PLEASE AND THANK YOU! :grin:

4 Likes

It for sure is gorgeous land. It still wows me and ive been here my entire life

1 Like

Well i was nervous/excited about going fishing but today we got our first couple cases of the virus so they stopped any fishing from opening. Today has been a really hard day for me because as a man i feel a lot better when im providing for my family. I was supposed to be fishing since april but this fucking virus has stopped everything. Today was the closest ive been to just saying fuck it and getting fucked up. I feel like whats the point to even doing it anymore??

2 Likes

The virus has messed everything up. I feel ya on the stress factors. It sucks feeling like your unable to provide for your family, but staying sober will give them something better than money. A positive influence and role model.

Be the guy that keep his shit together no matter what insanity this crazy world brings us. Your kids will remember and respect that. The virus has me feeling like the bottom could fall out of what I’ve got going on for work here.

Im way out of my comfort zone right now, and my inner alcoholic has been throwing out some bad ideas too. For the sake of my kids, I’ve been keeping my shit together. Sometimes a drink sounds really good.

I know the consequences.

Its never good like I imagine it to be.

Stay strong!

3 Likes

Good post Jason, good insights.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m on day 1 again…I read some of the posts yesterday i need to have some accountability so here I am!!
Well done to you all :+1: I’ve been drinking heavily for nearly 7 years and it has taken control of my thoughts daily i feel mentally drained