Nervous about girls brunch

A couple of friends that I haven’t seen in a long time have invited me to Sunday brunch in a couple of weeks. They are already talking about wine etc
In your experience is it better to say in advance that you won’t be drinking alcohol or just say so on the day?
To be honest, I’m not scared of their reaction, just ashamed that I can’t have a couple of glasses.
Thanks in advance

6 Likes

For me it works best to tell my friends I am gonna meet in advanced that I am not drinking at the moment.
If you don’t feel good about it to tell your whole story why you don’t drink… just tell them you are not drinking for a while to see if your physical and mental is improving.
If those are real friends they will accept your decision and will compliment you on your decision for not drinking.
This how I experienced it. It’s for you probably more an issue then for the people your telling. Wish you all the best :pray::muscle::wink:

2 Likes

I don’t ever mention it until we order and then I just order a water or whatever other non alcoholic drink I want. Even then I don’t specifically mention that I’m not drinking. Half the time, no one even cares.

I’ve learned that we, as alcoholics, build up these things in our mind and other people don’t really care what we do most of the time.

Have a good time and enjoy yourself!

4 Likes

In my experience not going at all would be the safest for me if I were having concerns about it.

2 Likes

Thank you. Great advice!

1 Like

Thank you!
Yes, I won’t give the whole story, I’ll just say its to improve mental/physical health.

1 Like

Very good point, thanks.

1 Like

I can understand this. Thanks

I wouldn’t say anything. For me brunch is something between breakfast and lunch and therefore I would opt for Latte Macchiato, Cappuccino and so on.
If they won’t let go, I would have an exit plan just in case.

3 Likes

Get it out there before hand. It’ll make it way easier and you are less likely to be subject to peer pressure.

If you don’t want to go into depth as to why, then make an excuse such as antibiotics or medication which you can’t drink on.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you!
Yes, cappuccino would suit me far better!

1 Like

We’ve got a whole thread on this, it might be worth your time to read.

2 Likes

This is brilliant. Thanks for this!

1 Like