Nervous about my health!

I’ve just quit smoking at 33. I smoked from about age 23 to current. I’m terrified that I’ve destroyed my lungs and that ill develop lung cancer despite quitting. I guess I just have to accept the consequences for my poor decisions in the past :frowning:. I’m also scared to know what I’ve done to my heart as well…my primary care doctor listened to my heart and breathing and said everything sounded fine but I think I need to go to a cardiologist to see if anything might be going on. Sorry I’m just freaking out…

2 Likes

Congrats on quitting! I quit recently too, I smoked from age 12 to 40. It was hard, but totally worth it!

The fact is, smoking causes damage. The longer you smoke, the more damage is done. But the longer you quit, the better chance of reversing some of the damage. Our bodies are pretty resilient.

I can’t say you won’t get cancer if you never smoke again, but its a lot less likely if you quit now!

Good luck!

3 Likes

You need to put those thoughts to rest, I’m assuming you suffer from anxiety and always think about worst case scenario. I’m like that myself but I can only think about today, tomorrow maybe my last but as a rule after doing CBT that I can not predict or control the future.
I have known people who have never smoked and still ended up dying from cancer, sometimes its genetic, unfortunately the cancer gene runs in my family, I may get it I may not but I’ll be damned to let these thoughts of what if stop me from having a good life today.
By all means address what is bothering you and I hope that you can rest when you are satisfied you are OK, don’t let anxiety rule you

4 Likes

The problem with quitting sh*t is then you start to think. So also about the consequences of your bad habits and you feel the withdrawals already so you beat yourself up twice at one time! Please don’t freak out, this could lead to relapse.

1 Like

That recovery timetable is great. That is just the reminder I need ahead of an upcoming party which I think will be my biggest potential temptation that I’ve come across so far!

2 Likes

Youl be ok now youve stopped wish you well , stopped in 1987