Nervous to go to AA meeting

Hey I’m 24yo girl and I’m 7 days clean. I have been researching meetings close to me.
I’m a little anxious to go to one though because you see and hear about them through tv and movies etc.
just don’t know what to expect are they just really sad and depressing? Will I need to talk to everyone? So many questions, at what point do you need to go to a meeting is it recommended for everyone to go or is it a threshold?

Sorry lol I just think maybe some part of me will feel judged because if they’re all older than me I may feel unworthy because everyone my age drinks copious amounts of alcohol (I’m from UK) …

10 Likes

Mostly everybody’s a little anxious they’re first meeting. There’s not a requirement of definitely having to go, but to give yourself the best chance at sobriety you should really try as much as you can and see what works for you. You don’t have to say anything at all,you can just go sit in the back and listen. When they ask if this is anybody’s first time here or first meeting you can sit there quiet or just say Hi I’m (blank) this is my first meeting. That’s it, nobody’s gonna pressure you for anything. Keep in mind, everybody’s there for exactly the same reason as you so there’s no reason to feel unworthy or uncomfortable. There’s no judgement at all. You could always search for a women’s only meeting in your area, if that wouldake you feel more comfortable. Good luck, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. :v:

10 Likes

Hey Emerrick, I think it’s a great idea to join an AA meeting :smiley:

I find that the people in AA are often inspiring and motivating when they talk. About your age thing, yeah most people there will probably be older than you but it’s not necessarily a bad thing - lots we can learn from people who are older than us.

No one will judge you for being young, if anything I think they will be proud of you for dealing with your addiction so early on in life! :smiley:

Btw there should be online meetings if you feel it makes you more comfortable. I think you’re overthinking it, trust :slight_smile:

Lastly, if it helps, sometime after 5pm EST today I can try joining an AA meeting with you :slight_smile:

I’d also suggest when you join an AA meeting that you mention that you’re new here and that you’re looking for a sponsor. Sponsorship can help a lot to work you through the steps. Best of luck homie, you got this :smiley:

Also, about having to talk to people, you don’t necessarily need to talk in an AA meeting, you could just tell them that you’re just listening for today, up to you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey Emerrick I am glad you reached out. It’s totally normal to be nervous. You are entering an unfamiliar space so your body knows to be in fight or flight mode. What I have seen in 12-step meetings,especially with women,is that before you leave the room you will be welcomed and surrounded by other women congratulating you for taking that first step and offering phone numbers and loving support to you. Please don’t let your nervousness keep you from attending the most successful addiction treatment program ever. I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys it’s really put my mind at more ease. I definitely agree it’s worth trying something before I make assumptions.
Maybe I can chat to people outside and they can make me more comfortable.

@john_connor1337 hey I’d love to do this journey together have you been to one before? I can’t tonight it’s too short notice but I am deciding this week I will attend my first meeting!
Just gotta leave my worries at the door.

Thanks for the clarification guys though because it helps knowing I’m not forced to speak. A sponsor is ideal too!
Much love

4 Likes

Hey there!! I’m 24 yo as well and when I got to my first meeting everyone was older than me but it was perfect!

They made me feel welcome and protected, they share the best of them so that I learn and they have patience with me even in my worst moments of madness.

Then, I realized there’s a lot of young people in AA!!! I feel blessed to have aa veterans friends!

9 Likes

UK also. No need at all to be nervous. I went to AA at four seperate locations and found each of them really welcoming. At the end of the day part of the name is anonymous, if you try a group and don’t like the vibe, move on try another. AA wasn’t for me (I struggled with the higher power theory). But it works for many, I met plenty of good people who had turned their lives around and had many sober years under their belt. I found the people great but couldn’t get along with the message, I prefer to believe it’s me who needs to make the changes, no one else. But do go, do give it a try, it’s another weapon in your armory. I would recommend turning up early, I did that at each new group and found the informal pre-meeting chat to be a great place to introduce yourself and break the ice.

3 Likes

Yeah for sure, hit me up when you wanna do a meeting together :3

I’ve never been to an AA meeting specifically, but I’ve been to Cocaine Anonymous meetings which is pretty similar from my understanding but more coke-oriented than liquor-oriented.

When we join an AA meeting together, let me know if you want me to try to introduce you and ask for a sponsor for you, or if you wanna just listen in for your first meeting or if you wanna do your own talking, whatever makes you feel comfortable :smile_cat:

I can’t join one in person since you’re in the UK and I’m in Canada btw, so it would have to be an online one if we do it fyi :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went to my first AA meeting at 26, I didn’t listen, thought I was too young etc etc. I crawled back in those rooms nearly 6 years ago finally prepared to listen, you’ll be surprised how young some of the people there are. What I have noticed since my first meeting in 2011 is that it is now more widely accepted that young people are alcoholics too and need help. That stigma around addiction has certainly subsided in the younger age groups over the last decade or so. People just want people to get better.

I wish you well. Please go. It will change your life.

3 Likes

Here in Scotland you can phone the local service office and they will arrange a person to meet you or even pick you up take you to a meeting this is called 12 stepping , there are womans meetings and young persons meetings . i went to my first meeting in 1986 and been sponsoring for over 36 years now im still going i do a lot of top tables visit prisons ,hospitals , it becomes a part of your life best move i ever made

Call our National Helpline

FREE on

[0800 9177 650](tel:0800 9177 650)

help@aamail.org

3 Likes